This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

I can’t believe spring semester is already here! I’m going to be starting my second semester of sophomore year and I’m truly excited to see what’s to come. In the fall, I felt like I didn’t accomplish anything memorable. I created a bucket list for the spring semester of all things I’d like to accomplish.

1. Always Say “Yes”

This is one of my hugest new year/new semester goals. To be honest, I can be very flaky at times and last semester was probably the worst of it. I usually need at least two to three business days to prepare myself to go out to socialize and end up missing out on those last minute plans with friends. I want to make more memories with friends and I find the plans that arise last minute end up being the most exciting/memorable. So, my plan is to say yes to everything that comes my way (within reason) to experience more this spring.

1. Exercise More

Okay, I know this sounds like almost everyone’s “new semester, new me” plan, but I really hope to stick with it throughout the semester. I’ve never been the most athletic person so I’m not talking about very strenuous workouts but I want to make sure I’m getting myself moving for at least 30 minutes a day 4-5 times a week. Throughout winter break, I would go on walks every morning for around an hour and it helped me feel so energized and good about myself throughout the day. 

1. Go To a Pilates Class

This kind of ties hand-in-hand with the previous goal, but attending a pilates class is one thing I’d really like to accomplish this semester. I started following along with some YouTube no-equipment pilates workout, like Move With Nicole, and I love it! I won’t lie, it’s definitely HARD and usually makes me break a sweat within the first three minutes, but my body always feels so great when I finish. So, if anyone knows of good pilates studios near Montclair State University, help a girl out!

1. Utilize Campus Resources

I realized all of the resources Montclair State University has are included in my tuition and I’m not taking enough advantage of them! I would like to take advantage of resources on-campus like the Center for Academic Success, Career Services, different workshops and the endless campus activities. In doing so, I hope to build my resume, get help with internships and future career opportunities, socializing and so much more!

1. Apply For Internships

This one is more of a necessity for this semester and not just a goal, but it still needed to be added to the list! My goal is to find an internship if not for this summer, then for some point next year. I’ve already applied for one internship and I’m waiting to hear back but I would like to apply to more to keep my options open. 

1. Prioritize My Happiness Daily

I tend to stick to the same routine pretty much daily and will sometimes disregard doing things that make me happy because I don’t believe it fits in my schedule. However, this semester, I want to prioritize doing something that will make me happy everyday. Whether this means going out with friends or simply staying in for a night alone while watching my favorite show and doing a face mask, I’d like to accomplish this more during the spring semester. I hope that by doing something that makes me happy everyday, then this semester will be a lot easier and hopefully stress-free.

1. Go To a Concert

I’m not really sure who exactly I’d like to see, or if anyone I currently listen to are going on tour this spring. However, I love concerts and realized I haven’t been to one since April of last year! Ideally, I’d love to score tickets to Taylor Swift’s Eras tour, but after months of trying already, I’m not sure if that will happen. Going to concerts with my friends is one of my favorite parts of life, so I’d love to go again this semester.

1. Go To a Sports Game

It’s my sophomore year of college and I’ve never been to a college sports game. Montclair State University isn’t huge in the athletics division, however, they still have a lot of good teams and games that I want to attend this semester. As winter sports come to an end and spring sports start up again this semester, I’d love to attend one of these games.

1. Get a Little

This is a very “sorority girl” of mine, but this semester I’ll (hopefully) get the opportunity to get a little! My big has become one of the best parts of my college experience and I turn to her for anything that happens in my life, so I want to become this person for someone else! Getting a little has been one of my goals since I got my big last spring and I’m so excited to spoil her in the future.

1.  Have Fun

One of my main goals for this semester is to have fun! I often find myself stressing out way too much over the little things and will lose sleep at night while thinking about everything I have to do the next day. This semester I’d like to take things day by day and give myself time to have fun and just enjoy myself. 

I’m so excited for a fresh start this semester to give me the opportunity to accomplish more things! I’m speaking it into existence that this semester will be a great and successful one.

Emily Spillar

Montclair '25

Emily is a Junior, Communication & Media Studies major at Montclair State University. She loves all things fashion and beauty, while also finding new experiences.