This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Makeup is important to me. It helps me feel confident and its something that I wear basically every day. Looking back to when I started wearing makeup, I see how far I’ve come and I’m sure many people can relate. 

I started wearing makeup in middle school, sixth grade to be exact. Yes, the cringy time where you think your makeup looks great and you’re so cool for wearing it. Fortunately for me, my mom didn’t want me wearing that much makeup so I stuck to the light brown eyeliner, some blush and mascara and didn’t go straight to the blue eyeshadow. Since the makeup was so light, it wasn’t as bad as it could’ve been, but it still wasn’t great. By eighth grade, however, I got brave enough to add black eyeliner and natural eyeshadow, along with more face products such as BB cream and concealer. For my age, and only having a short amount of experience, it looked pretty good.

Once I got to high school, I started to improve. This is when I realized how much I loved makeup, so I continued to practice and got better at things like blending my eyeshadow and winging my eyeliner. I started incorporating darker colors in my makeup, although I mostly stuck to pink shades and got more confident. Junior year, however, is when I started taking it really seriously I would say. Before this, I was doing my makeup every day and doing makeup on my friends too for events, but junior year is when I realized makeup is an industry that I want to go into. I worked even harder to improve because of this, and it worked. Looking at my makeup from freshman and sophomore year compared to junior and senior year, it’s obvious that I really started to push myself to get better and realized what I was good at and what I needed to work on. During this time, I was also able to meet makeup artists who gave me advice on how to get started on my career, which is when I started my beauty Instagram account which I’m still posting on today.

Once I got to college, it was really time to take it seriously. I enrolled in classes to get my makeup certificate, which I’m currently doing, and started playing around with makeup even more. I feel more confident than ever before in my makeup skills and look forward to seeing myself grow and do looks that I wasn’t able to do back in high school. I have identified the style of makeup I like to do and am most comfortable with, but looking forward to practicing looks outside of my comfort zone. I’m also excited to see where makeup takes me with my career. My advice to people who like makeup but don’t feel confident in themselves with doing it would be to practice. The saying “practice makes perfect” is so true and even people who do this as a career had to start somewhere. Instead of telling yourself, you can’t create a good look or there are many people who are better than you, set goals for yourself and tell yourself that you’ll achieve them one day. Makeup should be fun to do, and I’m so happy that I realized my love for it.

Shannon Egan

Montclair '22

Shannon is a Senior at Montclair State University majoring in Fashion studies. When she’s not in class or doing her assignments she can be seen styling new outfits, watching Netflix, practicing makeup looks, or hanging out with friends. She will be focusing on writing about fashion and beauty and is excited to share her knowledge on it.
Bella is a Senior at Montclair State University studying Communications and Media Arts with a minor in Business. She is currently the Senior Editor as well as contributing writer for Her Campus Montclair and is very excited to take on the role of Vice President and Co-Editor in Chief for the spring '21 semester.