My Happy Place Starts With a Paper & Pen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

When you think of your happy place, what comes to mind? If you were to ask, most people would probably describe somewhere relaxing, possibly a tropical paradise. A place where their thoughts are just as clear as the water. And while they’re there, it’s likely that nothing in the world could interrupt their bliss.

This is what writing does for me.

Some people may need to hop on a plane to experience those feelings, but my happy place starts with a pen and paper.

I remember the first time I wrote something that was rewarding to me. I was seven years-old, and everyone in the 1st and 2nd grade was required to write a poem for a school wide competition. I remember sitting at my desk by myself and writing whatever came to my mind. I remember how natural it felt, how comforting it was. It was easy to me. When the winners were announced, I was shocked to learn that I had come in first place! It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. But what I remember most is that it didn’t feel like a competition, it felt like a release. This is when I first experienced what I call the beauty of writing.

Fast forward 13 years later and I’ve taken that feeling and ran with it! I now keep a drawer full of journals and trips to Home Goods to pick out new ones are the best days. My personal saying is this: “If my journal is pretty, then my words will be beautiful.” At times when I feel my mind is everything but together, it truly brings me peace to see my thoughts down on paper. Frankly, it’s the only way I feel comfortable saying the things I would never say aloud. And that’s the beauty of writing. It provides you with a space where you are allowed to express yourself unapologetically. You can open a fresh page at any given time and there is no limit to where your mind (and pen) will take you. It is your own personal safety zone, whether you are alone or in a room full of people.

I have a quote on one of my journals that reads “Her own thoughts and reflections were habitually her best companions.” I couldn’t find a quote more relevant to my relationship with writing if I tried. If I’m feeling lost or misunderstood, I always find it soothing to see my own reflection of the scenario on paper. I personally like to write blindly, without intention, theme or topic. I do this so I don’t sugarcoat things to myself (it’s always surprising when you read some of the things you write today a year from now.)

The most rewarding thing about writing is not only the release, but the fact that it contributes to my growth as a person. I go through at least 3 journals a year and they all represent a specific time in my life. Through my writing, I get a personal snapshot where I can look back at my worst days on my better ones and realize how far I’ve come. It’s my happy place: a judgement-free place of expression and reflection where I can let myself shine in the beauty of my own words. The best part? It’s free and it’s all mine.

South Jersey native whose passion for writing lured her 14 miles from New York. Lataya is a student at Montclair State with a major in Journalism.