This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

One of the best seasons (in my opinion) just arrived and it comes with a plethora of activities. In the fall, you can go apple or pumpkin picking, go on hayrides, hikes, look at nature, etc. However, I believe a lot of people forget about one of the best parts of fall: those yucky days when all you want to do is curl up in bed. Personally, this is one of my favorite parts of fall. But I realize other people might enjoy sunny days more and that’s okay! Fall is one of those seasons where I watch movies almost every day. The feeling of being cozied up in bed, under a blanket and watching a good movie, is something I love. Throughout the years, I’ve come up with a list of some of the best movies to watch throughout the season. Including romantic comedies, horror, dramas, comedies and so much more.

1. “Hocus Pocus” – 1993

“Hocus Pocus” is a popular Halloween movie, but it’s often overlooked once Halloween ends. This movie is based around three witches in Salem, MA, the witch capital of the world. The Sanderson sisters are resurrected after years of being exiled by a teenage boy and his younger sister. Throughout the movie, there are a lot of different twists and turns and laughs that’ll keep you entertained the whole time. I’ve been watching this movie since I was a child, but it never gets old for me. I usually watch it so much throughout October that after Halloween I’m a little sick of it, but it’s a wonderful fall movie!

P.S. – If you’re interested and enjoy this movie, Disney just released a sequel to the film on Disney+, definitely check it out!

1. “Clueless” – 1995

“Clueless” is one of my favorite movies in the world. It’s not a fall-based movie, however, if you need a movie to watch, you should watch this one. “Clueless” is based around Cher who’s one of the most popular girls in school. Cher sees herself as a matchmaker, and matches two of her teachers together. She then goes on to set up one of the new students, and in turn, the student ends up being more popular than she is! Throughout the movie, Cher starts to realize that her ex-step brother might be right and they start to see each other in a different way. This is one of the most classic rom-com movies in history. If you haven’t seen it yet, what are you waiting for?!

1. “The Blind Side” – 2009

This movie is another one that isn’t necessarily a fall-based movie, but it is based on football which is a fall sport! In “The Blind Side,” Michael Oher is a homeless teen that has drifted in between school systems all of his life. The Tuohy family, Leigh Anne, Sean and children, decide to take Michael in and provide him with a good life. They eventually become his legal guardians (and legal family) and they go through the transformation for all of their lives. Michael is pretty big physically, and protective of his family, which makes him an incredible force for the football team. Throughout the film, we watch Michael realize his potential as a student and football player. I absolutely love this movie because of how genuine it is. Nine times out of 10 when I’m watching this movie, I’m crying! 

1. “Coco” – 2017

“Coco” is such a cute Disney movie, and it’s also perfect for fall. In this animated movie by Disney, Miguel dreams of becoming a successful musician, despite his family’s ban on music. Miguel finds himself trying to prove his talent after winding up in the Land of the Dead. He meets some different people along the way including Hector, a trickster. The two of them start a journey to discover the true story behind Miguel’s family ban on music. “Coco” is set around the Day of the Dead, which takes place on Nov. 1. It definitely fits the fall theme, and is absolutely adorable and I love watching it! 

1. “Little Italy” – 2018

“Little Italy ” is one of those rom-coms that you watch and then instantly want to turn it back on. I didn’t discover this movie until a few months ago, but I thought it was amazing. Side note: I’m actually watching it right now as I write! In this movie, the Campo and Angioli family used to collaboratively own a pizza place. Leo Campo and Nikki Angioli grew up together, but once they went off to college, both of their families got into a fight and turned the one pizza place into two. Now, they’re both rival pizza owners and are involved in a huge feud. When Nikki returns home, she’s met with a different Leo than she knew before and their longtime friendship stems into something more.

1. “Knives Out” – 2019

“Knives Out” is a mystery movie surrounding a crime that needs to be investigated. The death of Harlan Thrombey, a novelist, is mysterious and has everyone in town talking. However, Detective Benoit Blanc is suspicious of the Thrombey family themselves. The Thrombey family has the tendency of being dysfunctional and crazy, and that’s something the Detective keeps in mind while investigating. Detective Blanc must distinguish between truths and lies and get to the bottom of what really happened. Personally, I’ve only seen about half of this movie when I was on vacation this past summer. This movie totally slipped my mind until now, but it’s been added to my watch list. I found this film so captivating and a perfect mystery movie to watch in the fall.

This list has some great recommendations for your watching needs this season. However, I would definitely check out some of the new movies coming out this fall too! Whatever you decide to watch, I hope you have an amazing fall season!

Emily Spillar

Montclair '25

Emily is a Junior, Communication & Media Studies major at Montclair State University. She loves all things fashion and beauty, while also finding new experiences.