This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As someone who loves fashion, I enjoy looking at past decades and seeing what they wore. I also like to incorporate vintage looks into my own style. There are good and bad fashion trends from every decade, but some decades definitely stand out to me the most as my favorites.

The 1920s

What I love most about 1920s fashion are the flapper dresses. I love the glitz and glam of them and also how they move with you when you dance. They just make me think of how fun it would be to spend a night out in them. I also like how the makeup was simple but very pretty and made a statement with the red lipstick, along with the look of the outfit. Thinking about this part of the 20s gives me such a glamorous vibe and that’s why I like it so much.

The 1950s

The 1950s is definitely my favorite when it comes to past decades for fashion. I love how fun, girly and colorful the dresses were and the new-look style of them with the full skirts that were fitted at the waist. Something that also stands out to me is the details of the dresses such as the collars, buttons and belts. The hair and makeup styles are also something I appreciate. Another thing I love about the 50s style is the way they accessorized. One accessory that stands out to me the most is neck scarves, and I would love to wear that now. If I had to choose a decade to dress like today, I would choose the 50s, since I feel like that girly style is the most me.

The 1960s

The 1960s was also a cute, feminine decade for fashion. Dresses and skirts were getting more straight and loosely fitted but were still fun colors. At the time, women were also trying to get more freedom with how they dressed. With this, the dresses were still classy and covered everything up, but they did allow more freedom in length. Along with the dresses, skirts and all the accessories, I appreciate how the fashion of this decade helped women feel more comfortable.

The 1990s

This was obviously a much more recent decade than the others, and we still see many elements of it today. When explaining what my favorite fashion trends of the 90s are, I would probably reference Rachel Green from Friends or Cher from Clueless. By this I mean plaid skirts with tights and cardigans. While the decade isn’t as definable or in your face as others for fashion, the fashion of it is still very cute.

Every decade has a fashion trend that defines the decade for you. That’s what’s so great about fashion, it’s constantly changing and new styles are being created. Think about what makes you love the decades you do, and try to bring that into your style now if you’re not already. That will make you love your style even more.

Shannon Egan

Montclair '22

Shannon is a Senior at Montclair State University majoring in Fashion studies. When she’s not in class or doing her assignments she can be seen styling new outfits, watching Netflix, practicing makeup looks, or hanging out with friends. She will be focusing on writing about fashion and beauty and is excited to share her knowledge on it.
Bella is a Senior at Montclair State University studying Communications and Media Arts with a minor in Business. She is currently the Senior Editor as well as contributing writer for Her Campus Montclair and is very excited to take on the role of Vice President and Co-Editor in Chief for the spring '21 semester.