books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

My Current Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As expected with anyone who writes, I also love to read, but with schoolwork, money and sometimes, general apathy, I don’t do it as much as I should these days. That hasn’t stopped me from curating a list anyway, so here are four books that are currently on my radar (in no particular order): 

1. “The Raven Boys” – Maggie Stiefvater

I don’t even remember how I found this book. It’s from a supernatural YA (young adult) series about a young girl named Blue who comes from a psychic family. The first book focuses on her and a group of wealthy boys who attend a nearby private school. I started reading this last week and it has not been a fun ride. The writing and characters are underwhelming so far. I probably won’t finish it. 

1. “Never Let Me Go” – Kazuo Ishiguro 

I read this a couple of years ago when I was still in high school, maybe a freshman. It’s such a somber and mature story that I’m not even sure I understood it the first time around. As a college student, I think now is a good time to reexamine its events. Kazuo Ishiguro presents a world in which everyone has a clone who is used to give them organs and other body parts when they go through an illness/injury. The story is told from the perspective of Kathy, a carer who looks after aforementioned clones. 

1. “Wuthering Heights” – Emily Brontë

Wuthering Heights is a classic and I’ve been reading it for about three years! I always end up leaving it alone for a few days and when I come back, I completely forget what happened in previous chapters and start over again. In case you have no idea what I’m talking about, Wuthering Heights is about the relationship between Cathy and Heathcliff. The two of them grew up together after her father found Heathcliff living as an orphan on the streets. 

1. “The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat” – Oliver Sacks

I have been trying to read more nonfiction and this is the only one on this list, although with the way it’s written, you’d think it’s fiction. Oliver Sacks was a neurologist who treated people with a variety of complicated disorders. The title references a patient that dealt with face-blindness. It’s a collection of case studies about these patients and their experiences. I have no interest in being a doctor, but this book is definitely persuasive and for a minute, I just might change my mind.

Donaelle Benoit

Montclair '24

Donaelle Benoit is a junior linguistics major at Montclair State University. When she's not reading, she's writing and when she's not writing, she's usually editing someone else's. She enjoys loud electropop, chocolate chip cookies, and oxford commas.