Dena Montez, a junior at Montclair State
Original photo by Avery Nixon
Life > Academics

Montclair Star Student: Dena Montez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Dena Montez is one of Montclair State University’s most recognizable current students. You probably have seen her tagging along with our mascot Rocky the Redhawk or on the Montclair State official TikTok account. Montez is a heavily involved and dedicated student as well as insanely funny. She’s the perfect student to highlight because so many people can be inspired by her. 

Full Name: Dena Marie Montez

Grade: Junior

Major: Communication Studies Minor: Makeup Artistry

Involvement on Campus: Service Assistant for residence life (front desk in Blanton), Team Rocky, Presidents Cauldron, Social Media Ambassador, Red Hawk Life

Career goals: Something with makeup or graduate school for Public Relations, loves working with Rocky so may work with mascots

3 Hobbies/Skills: Cooking, Makeup, Graphic design, Adobe, flyers, announcements 

Q: What are you most involved in at Montclair State?

A: Two of the teams that I’m on are a part of the Department of Student Communications. Most people recognize me from Team Rocky. 

Q: What inspires you to work as hard as you do?

A: Probably my family, I always want to make my parents proud, and they’re very hardworking. 

Q: How do you manage your time and responsibilities?

A: Google Calendar is my best friend. I have everything in there; if it’s not in there, I don’t go [where I need to be]. 

Q: What is your favorite thing about college life?

A: It kind of just feels like I’m living with a bunch of my friends and doing fun things and just have to learn sometimes.

Q: Do you have any advice for your fellow college students?

A: If you want to do something, just do it. Don’t let anyone hold you back and tell you no. If you refrain from an opportunity, you’ll be missing out on something fun. Also, say how you feel; not enough people do it.

Q: What do you want your life to be like in five years?

A: I’m hoping to have an exciting job where I’m getting something out of it and living somewhere I’m happy.

Q: What brings you the most joy in life?

A: My friends, and definitely my best friend, Eddie, and my Team Rocky friends. They’ve always been my biggest supporters. 

Q: What’s one thing you are absolutely obsessed with?

A: Music. I’m a huge Gaga fan, I love Doja cat. My music taste is all over the place; I have my old abuela salsa vibes playlist, and then I have my Megan, Nicki and all of their stuff on my playlists.

Q: What do you like most about yourself?

A: Probably my humor. I’m so funny, my ego feeds off of how many people think I’m funny.

Q: What’s one thing you wish you could change about society?

A: I wish everybody was more accepting. It’s so hard to find a big community that is really accepting of a big, diverse group of people. 

Q: What are 3 words that best describe you?

A: Funny, determined and outgoing.

Q: What was the best lesson you learned in life?

A: That everybody [is] brought into your life for a reason. If someone was bad to you, it was to teach you a lesson; it’s the hardest pill to swallow too.

Q: How do you express yourself?

A: I express myself by saying how I feel most of the time. I’m honest with everyone, and I’m very upfront about things. It makes people respect me more because I’m honest, but it can get me in trouble sometimes. 

Women on campus can learn a lot from Montez. She inspires all to be hardworking, passionate and devoted all while having the time of her life.

Avery Nixon

Montclair '25

A television and film major, with a minor in creative writing, and aspiring screenwriting who is taking her first step as a writer for multiple organizations at Montclair State University.