Michele Pezzolla

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Michele Pezzolla

Age: 20

Major: Fashion Studies

Makeup Background: Prom, Formal, Weddings, Parties, Fashion Shows, Photo shoots, Headshots, Color Consultant at Sephora, Assisted Celebrity Makeup Artist Ozzy Salvatierra, Magazine Shoots, Worked as Makeup Artist at Tim Hamilton’s Presentation at NYFW, PfunkModeling Agency.

1. What made you interested in going to Montclair, and what made you want to major in Fashion Studies?

Montclair is 10 minutes from my house and I didn’t want to leave my job as a Color Consultant at Sephora. Along with offering the Fashion Studies degree, Montclair also offered the Makeup Artistry Certification Program affiliated with my role model, Bobbi Brown. I could get a degree, live at home, keep my job, and pursue my dream of doing makeup all at once. MSU was the only school I applied for.

2. You’re known for being an amazing makeup artist. How did you get started in this industry?

It started with a desire to be an artist, but not sure of what kind. All of my friends always wanted me to do their makeup for every party or club starting in middle school. By the end of freshman year in high school, it became a passion and I knew that was the kind of artist I wanted to be. The day I turned 18, I applied at Sephora.

3. What is the best part about being a makeup artist?

Work is not work. It’s fun. I can be creative and I make people happy.

4. What do you think are the key necessities every girl needs in her makeup kit?

Every girl needs blush. Everyone needs to add a natural, healthy glow to their cheeks to look fresh and alive. Also, mascara – big eyelashes is what makes girls feel “girly.” It also helps open the eye and make you look more awake.

5. What are some hygiene tips you could give our readers about skin care and their brushes/makeup?

DO NOT SHARE MAKEUP AND BE SURE TO WASH YOUR BRUSHES! Wash them at least once a week. Deep clean your brushes with soap and water, or use a daily brush disinfecting spray. You don’t want to transfer bacteria from your brushes onto your skin because it can cause breakouts. Make sure to leave them drying by laying your brushes flat on a towel with the bristles hanging off the edge of a table. Wet brushes on a towel can get moldy – that’s why you leave them hanging off.

6. Do you have any advice for someone interested in becoming a makeup artist?

Take as many jobs as you can. Start out working for free and practice on anyone that will let you. Be confident in your work even if you have to fake it!

7. Where do you see yourself in five years?

In five years, I want to be freelancing, not working retail, hopefully on a team like the Stila Team, Mac Team, Bobbi Brown Team, etc., and to be working at every fashion week.

8. Lastly, do you have a Facebook page, Instagram page, or Twitter account where girls can contact you about doing their makeup for an event?

Facebook: www.facebook.com/makeupbymicheleeva

Instagram: @MakeupbyMichele_Eva

Photo Source:
Michele Pezzolla