Style

Michael Kors Fall 2020 Ready-to-Wear: Where Chic Meets Country Cozy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Michael Kors’ Fall 2020 Ready-to-Wear collection is the perfect combination of chic and comfy cozy that everyone wants in their closet. Some familiar faces were seen walking the runway like Kaia Gerber, Mica Argañaraz and Bella Hadid and front row attendees like Blake lively and Issa Rae amongst many others. The collection contained country influence with cow print handbags, faux fur, shearling, plaid prints and riding boots. With earthy tones and a country style, Michael Kors wanted to display an idea of escaping into nature and feeling secure and cozy. Bouncing off the rustic aesthetic, the runway was built and constructed to look like a country house with wood flooring and backdrops, mock farmhouse windows and warm lighting to further tie in the cozy factor. 

The garments in the MK 2020 ready-to-wear collection consisted of lots of leather pieces from handbags, to riding boots, to trench coats. It also included lots of cozy knitwear like turtleneck sweaters, ponchos and scarves which are   classic to the Michael Kors brand. Alongside knitwear, there were long wool overcoats, cape coats, blazers, trousers and long flowy skirts. Glamming up the rustic country vibe, there were dresses and skirts that consisted of gold and black metallic fabric to add some edge to the collection. Lots of gold accents made its way down the runway on bags and coats, which made for a beautiful contrast against the earthy tones. Oversized and layered pieces were successful in this collection because they  follow the cozy and secure feeling that Michael Kors wanted to convey. This entire collection just screamed “rustic, cabin countryside” and I’m here for it!

This year’s Michael Kors Fall Ready-to-Wear collection is one of my favorites during this NYFW. It’s right up my alley with the cozy knits, earthy tones and rustic vibe! I think Michael did a great job of  bringing the rustic and country chic style to life. It was very intentional and all the details made sense with the theme of the collection. It’s also really important to tie in the atmosphere with the collection, like the runway set and live music for example, to further bring fans and onlookers to really feel the vibe of the collection.

It’s extremely hard to pick my favorite look from this collection because I have so many, but I really loved an olive green turtleneck paired with dark trousers, a long black leather quilted patterned jacket with a fur trimmed hood, chocolate brown riding boots and a cow print handbag with gold accents. Another look I really loved was a pale yellowish-beige cable knit turtleneck sweater paired with a long, hunter green, plaid skirt and black  riding boots with a matching black leather handbag. Something specific I really liked about that outfit was how there were a lot of layers and an additional matching cable knit sweater tied around the shoulders of the model. It’s a really different and unique way of styling an outfit-something I’m definitely going to try myself! See below for my favorite looks.

Alexa Rae is a Jersey girl with a passion for fashion. She is a Montclair State University alumna with a BA degree in Fashion Studies and minor in Fashion Merchandising. Alexa was a writer for HCM for 4 years, having concentrated on fashion and lifestyle related articles. Her future career goal is to have her own successful fashion brand.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.