Culture > News

March Like You Mean It: An in-Depth Look at Local Black Lives Matter Protests

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

The year 2020 has been one like no other. We started the year off with a global pandemic as well as two known horrifying cases of police brutality, a number that grew as we learned the names of Elijah McClain, Sean Monterossa, and many more.

The Black Lives Matter movement is more than an excuse to get out of the house during a pandemic. It’s a demand for restorative justice and change, change in the way this country polices, and change in how justice is dealt out.

Black Lives Matter or “BLM”  is now the largest global movement against police brutality and racial injustice in history, with protests, not only occurring in all 50 states but support reaching as far as Syria with protesters fighting their own battles against state-sanctioned violence in London, New Zealand, and Rio.

This summer I attended as many Black Lives Matter protests and related events as advisable during a pandemic, each in different cities in the northern NJ and greater NY area and this is what I observed. 

Clifton/Passaic

This protest, on June 3rd, was the first I attended, it was at the beginning of the summer when the east coast protests were really starting to gain traction. We started at Clifton city hall and marched some two and a half miles to  Passaic. 

Upon first arrival, I was strangely nervous. Unlike some of the other events I attended, there was a ubiquitous police presence. I noticed Passaic and Clifton are largely Black and brown communities and this protest reflected that. 

By this time, videos of police officers in riot gear had been flooding Twitter timelines, instilling fear in protestors. That fear was radiating throughout this protest as if expecting to be brutalized, protesters came in goggles, some even with padded clothing in the summer heat.

The police, fixed along the streets like sentinels, stared protestors down at each turn. Tensions were high as protestors chants of “No justice, no peace f*** these racist a** police” hung in the air. But more than fear, there was a sense of purpose. Protestors were screaming the names of those murdered by police as if it had been a friend or even a family member. As we marched, store owners and neighbors alike came out to clap and show support from the sidewalk, some even offering protesters water and chips. However, my favorite moment came when an elderly Black woman drove alongside us in her car, stating “I’m so proud of y’all, if I would’ve known, I’d be marching right alongside you” to which I replied, “You’re here now”.

After about three and a half hours of marching, singing, yelling, and even some dancing, the protest culminated in a rally outside of Passaic city hall where a group of about 50 of the protesters chanted Breonna Taylor’s name.  Afterward, community leaders both young and old used this opportunity to memorialize George Floyd by kneeling in silence for seven minutes, fists raised in the air. 

Main Takeaway: This protest felt personal. It was evident that this was a community affected by police violence and truly has a stake in the results of this most current civil rights movement. 

Montclair 

Billed as a “Unity March” a friend of mine told me prior to that he was iffy about the event, saying he wasn’t sure if it was true to the purpose of the movement. I remained optimistic. 

The march, held on June 7th, started off at Montclair Highschool and moved through upper and downtown Montclair. I later learned that this march was also organized by Montclair Highschool students, whom I commend for taking action at such a young age.

Something I noticed right away was the difference in the mood of the participants, whereas the tone in Clifton and Passaic had been almost somber, the tone at this event was nearly cheerful. 

There were children running around on the lawn and teens catching up with friends they hadn’t been able to see since lockdown. As participants arrived at the school, the crowd of over a thousand eventually split up into two sections.

There was also a noticeable change in demographics. Along with varying age ranges the participants were mostly white millennials, also reflecting their area.

Like the previous protest, as community members saw us move throughout the streets they supported on the sidelines, offering water, chips, or even just a reassuring “Black Lives Matter!” through a window.

Although much fewer than the Passaic/Clifton protest there was a police presence. With participants waving to officers they recognized, the difference in how these three communities are policed was stark. 

Weirdly, I couldn’t help but feel as though this felt more like a parade than a protest. Anytime a participant sang out the aforementioned “no justice, no peace..” chant it died out. It was as if participants wanted police violence to end but wouldn’t directly address what the issue was or who was perpetuating it.

The march culminated in students in the area dancing, reciting poetry, and lastly leading participants in kneeling for 7 minutes to honor George Floyd.

Main takeaway: I feel this march was more about raising awareness of the issue of police brutality and systemic racism than it was about protesting and dressing it. Both are worthy goals and I look forward to seeing what Montclair students plan in the future.

Paterson

This unique event was not a march but a mural painting.  Inspired by the street paintings reading “Black Lives Matter” seen across the country, it was organized by activist Zeillie Thomas, artist Christopher Fabor Muhammad and the Paterson chapter of Black Lives Matter. The painting process took place over three days. Beginning on August 21st and ending on the 23rd.

Unfortunately, I was only available to participate on the first day however, that was all it took for me to realize how much this project brought the community together. 

Paterson residents who have grappled with their own bouts of police violence thought it would be important to show that the community cares about it’s Black and brown residents through this mural. The piece, 72 yards from the Paterson PD HQ  has drawn some criticism, challenging the Paterson PD to understand the community they police.

There were people of all ages taking part in the mural. Stretching across broadway the mural is also directly in front of an Underground Railroad memorial, cementing its place in the next phase of American Black history. 

Main takeaway: Like the Montclair event this was mostly cheerful, painters following Zellie Thomas in chanting “When I say Black Lives, you say Matter!”.  By being there you got the sense that everyone appreciated the permanent statement placed on  Paterson’s streets. Even though painting won’t fix a system of state-sanctioned violence it shows the community that there are people that care about them and their safety. 

Washington Square Park, NYC

Now this event was so unique that I’m not even sure if it should be included on this list. As this event was the only one that I had accidentally stumbled upon,  I walked around for a while asking what it was about, a lot didn’t seem to know.

Finally, after sticking around awhile I found my answer: Deemed “All matters matter” this “protest party” hoped to spread awareness of police brutality and push for constitutional reform, but that wasn’t clear upon arrival.  

To the naked eye, it just looked like an outdoor party, for college students to blow off steam. “Party protesters” were dancing and  singing along to dancehall, pop, and rap music holding signs that read “all matters matter”

Slightly confused by this statement, I spoke to one of the organizers, Brooklyn native, David Ortiz, more popularly known as Shaman. 

When asked about the purpose of the “protest party”  and his views of the Black Lives Matter movement Shaman stated “Every life matters, but Black lives matter right now”. 

As the night went on “party protesters” could be heard chanting “reform! reform!” 

This event will be taking place every weekend until election day at Washington Square Park in New York.

Main takeaway: I feel the hearts of these protesters were in the right place, and after having seen successful protests that incorporate music, dance, and even ballroom culture, I can’t even say their methods are that absurd. However, the message was unclear throughout the night, leaving some feeling like it was just an excuse to throw a party in the park. 

These experiences go to show the differences in approach on Black Lives Matter, whether or not you believe a dance party,  mural, and quasi-parade are staying true the movement is up to you. I leave you with this, Black lives will continue to matter, and will continue to be unjustly taken after the fanfare, and after most have stopped talking about us. Black Lives Matter today, and every day. 

Hi there! My name is Gabrielle and I study English and Journalism. I enjoy writing, singing,and discussing politics with my friend Syed on our podcast "On the Phone". I also enjoy binge watching Avatar the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra whenever I get the chance. Follow me on Instagram @gabbywitha.y for information on my upcoming projects and articles.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.