Style > Beauty

Makeup Hacks for the Overworked College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Let’s start by stating the obvious: college is tiring! With countless busy days and late nights the motivation to do makeup, let alone get ready, is mostly at an all-time low. But, if you love makeup like I do and feel it helps get your day started, it’s hard to skip that part of your routine. These helpful makeup hacks will ensure that you feel ready for the day or night ahead.

Wings With Tape

One of the most popular beauty hacks for winged liner is using tape! We all know it takes tons of practice to perfect those sharp wings, and it’s very easy to mess them up, which is why using tape is such a time-saver. All you need to do is place one or two pieces of tape on the outer corner of the eye so it forms the shape of a wing and fill it in with eyeliner. Remove the tape, and quickly fix the wing to your liking if necessary. Easy-peasy!

Lip and Cheek

Lip and cheek products are so helpful because they are multipurpose and perfect for on-the-go use as well. They’re so easy to apply with just a few dabs on your cheeks and lips and you’re set. Throw it in your bag and use it for touch ups later in the day or night. Milk Makeup and BH Cosmetics offer good quality, cream tints.

Cold Beauty Blender

If you want to blend out your foundation, concealer or BB cream quickly and seamlessly, I highly recommend using not only a beauty blender, but a beauty blender dampened with cold water. A damp beauty blender on its own makes applying face makeup 10x easier and faster with a natural finish. But, when you add cold water to the mix, it de-puffs the face and tightens the pores!

Highlighter

A nice highlighter is a total gamechanger and gives the face a lively glow. It looks just as good alone as it does on top of makeup, and can be easily applied with your fingers. Simply dabbing it onto the cheekbones, tip of the nose and the cupid’s bow can work wonders in no time. You can even apply some to the inner corner of the eyes for a nice pop. My current favorite is Milk Makeup’s Liquid Strobe in Aura.

Tinted Brow Gel

Filling in your brows can sometimes be very time consuming, which is why tinted brow gel really comes in handy. Instead of going the whole nine yards with your brows, you can do minimal filling, or none at all, and rely mainly on the brow gel. The gel does a good job at making the brows appear filled and keeps the shape in tact.  

Kayla is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in Communication and Media Arts. She is a beauty and fashion fanatic with hopes of working in the Beauty Industry after college. She has a knack for fine arts, enjoys writing, and is a dedicated yogi.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.