The Lucky 7: Seven Artists You Should Know By Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s officially October and that means three things: pumpkin spice EVERYTHING, sweater weather and 2014 is coming to a close! Now just because the year is starting to wind down doesn’t mean it’s too late to discover some great acts who have made 2014 their breakout year. Here are the 7 Artists you should know by now and keep a look out for in the year to come.

7. Betty Who

This Australian born, New Yorker is soon to be your next electro-pop obsession (as she is mine!) Born Jessica Newham, Ms. Who may initially leave you asking, who is Betty Who? But that won’t be for long! An Alumnus of the Interlochen Center for the Arts and Berklee College of Music, Betty has been a hard working musician, honing and perfecting her craft since she was a child. After she got together with fellow Berklee-ite, producer Peter Thomas, they independently wrote and released Betty’s debut single Somebody Loves You. While the song was released in 2012, it grew in popularity over the last year due to a proposal video that went viral. (If you haven’t seen it yet, grab a box of tissues and check out “Spencer’s Home Depot Marriage Proposal” on YouTube). Since then, Betty and her infectiously catchy music have been popping up everywhere from Late Night with Seth Myers to Watch What Happens: Live with Andy Cohen! In addition to her TV appearances, her debut album Take Me When You Go was released October 7th. She also announced that she would be supporting Katy Perry on the Australian Leg of her Prismatic World Tour alongside Tove Lo! Check out her new single All Of You and I promise you’ll love Betty Who as much as I do!

Song To Listen To: “All Of You”

6. Twenty One Pilots

2014 has been a breakthrough year for great music and one of the best examples of this is the band Twenty One Pilots. The duo, comprised of frontman Tyler Joseph and drummer Joshua Dun, has built a hardcore fanbase since forming back in 2009. After two self-released albums, they were signed to alternative rock’s Mecca label, Fueled By Ramen. The band then released their first studio album, Vessel, in 2013 and has been flying high ever since. From Conan and Late Night to Lollapalooza and Bonnaroo, this band has been everywhere over the last year and a half. Thanks to the demand of their loyal fans that attended music festivals all over the country, they launched their first headlining international tour this year. The best part about this band, as it should be, is the music. My favorite thing about their songs is that they are all poetry-based works put to music. Each song takes you on a ride as you attempt to decipher the meaning behind these words so eloquently written by the frontman himself. When it comes to placing this band in a genre, you find yourself troubled since they bridge so many. I believe the fact that they can’t really be pigeon-holed into a genre is a sign they’re doing something right. Check out of their biggest hits, Car Radio, and you are sure to understand why this band has become one of the biggest and best acts to come out of 2014.

Song To Listen To: “Car Radio” (Bonus: Ode To Sleep)

5. Caitlin Rose

Comparisons of newcomers to musical legends happen much too often, especially in country music. So, when I kept hearing the same name over and over being compared to country music legends Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn; I had to know who this girl was! Her name is Caitlin Rose and needless to say, I was NOT disappointed. When listening to her sing, your mind is instantly pulled back to a time when Patsy and Loretta reigned supreme and country music wasn’t so universally (and unjustly) disliked. While her songs have a throwback pull, they are full of emotion, blunt yet still undeniably modern. It is no surprise that she is an A+ songwriter: it runs in her blood! Her mother is a noted songwriter who has co-written countless hits for a little lady named Taylor Swift (including You Belong With Me!) But, Caitlin is making a name for herself with her effortlessly crisp vocals and her wonderful way with words. As of right now, she is off to a fantastic start. She dropped an album this year and one of her songs was featured on ABC’s Nashville! I can’t wait to see what 2015 has in store!

Song To Listen To: “Waitin”

4. Bleachers

When I first saw a video of Bleachers performing two things came to mind: 1. They rock! and 2. Isn’t that the guy from Fun? Turns out I was correct, on both respects. The band is Fun member, Jack Antonoff’s side project! Have no worries Fun fans, he’s not leaving the group. Antonoff’s indie pop band released its first single I Wanna Get Better in February with the album Strange Desire following in July! I Wanna Get Better became an instant hit and their album debuted at number 11 on the Billboard 200! The album is full of songs that make you feel good and want to get up and dance. So in my book I’m calling it a win on the band’s part! Bleachers is also headlining a tour and will be in the area this November. So get yourself familiar with this awesome group and check them out live!

Song To Listen To: “I Wanna Get Better” (Bonus: Rollercoaster)

3. Tove Lo

Whether it’s through her songwriting for other musicians or that little app we all know and love (Vine!) chances are if you have never heard of Tove Lo, you have heard her somewhere! The Swedish songstress has written songs for acts like Cher Lloyd, Girls Aloud and Icona Pop alongside releasing her EP Truth Serum followed by her debut album Queen of The Clouds this past September. Arguably her biggest claim to fame is a little song named Habits. If that doesn’t ring a bell think of the song that was in countless Vine edits that went like “you’re gone and I gotta stay high all the time . . . ” and it will probably ring a bell. With the success of Habits and her debut album, Tove Lo is popping up on Late Night talk shows, radio stations and is even going on tour with Katy Perry alongside the aforementioned Betty Who! It would be in your best interest to get acquainted with her now because she is not going anywhere soon!

Song To Listen To: “Out Of My Mind”

2. Echosmith

They might sing about wishing they were the cool kids but after the year they have had it is hard to consider them anything but! Graham, Noah, Sydney and Jamie Sierota are the four siblings that make up Echosmith. Their melodies just can’t get out of our heads! Formed in 2009, the band was signed to Warner Brothers Music in 2012 and released their debut album in October 2013. Following this they played Vans Warped Tour two years in a row, appeared on Conan and opened up for acts like Owl City, Twenty One Pilots and Neon Trees. Their music was failing to gain any traction until that little app did it again. With one 6-second Vine video, (you know which one I’m talking about) their song “Cool Kids” became a hit and they are now headlining their own tour, which is coming to our area in the middle of November! One listen to their album and it’s clear this indie-pop group is here to stay and ready to make you dance!

Song To Listen To: “Talking Dreams”

1. BANKS

The number one spot easily goes to Ms. Jillian Banks, known simply to her fans and admirers as BANKS. The L.A. based, electronic, and R&B singer has been attracting attention since she posted her first song to Soundcloud in late 2013. Combining traits of artists Erykah Badu, Fiona Apple and The Weeknd, (who she also opened for on tour this year); it is easy to see why there is so much intrigue surrounding her music. After her Soundcloud garnered a significant amount of attention, she released two EP’s, Fall Over and London, which were met with critical acclaim and put her on numerous “Best New Artists” and “Artist to Watch” lists in 2014. Following her critical acclaim and growing popularity, she has played at multiple music festivals like this years Coachella and Bonnaroo, started her own headlining tour in March, and recorded an album that was released in early September. With millions of fans worldwide, like songstress Ellie Goulding, hailing BANKS as their new favorite artist; it is easy to see why she’s blowing up! The girl has major skills and if you don’t believe me, check out her album, Goddess, for yourself! The album is one of the best of the year and is definitive proof of why people love and can’t get enough of her.  

Song To Listen To: “Warm Water” (Bonus: “Waiting Game”)

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.     
Jennifer is a Feature Writer for Her Campus Montclair and a junior at Montclair State University. Jennifer is majoring in nutrition with a concentration in dietetics with a biology minor. She absolutely loves to write and dance and enjoys expressing her creativity through writing and dancing! She recently began practicing yoga and she loves it very much. Jennifer hopes to become a Registered Dietitian and one day write for a health & fitness magazine. Health is very important to Jennifer and she wants to share her love of health and fitness with the world!