Love Songs To Listen To For The Month Of Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Sharing music and making playlists is known to be one of the most popular love languages, as music is a window to someone’s soul. On top of that, love songs are one of the most popular forms of music written. If you turn on the radio, nine times out of 10 there will be a love song playing, whether it be pop, R&B, etc.

Why is music so intimate? There are many components to a song that target certain emotions. When a song is well-written, it can bring about memories or feelings that remind you of how a certain person makes you feel. What you may feel while listening to the melody of a song can remind you of the way being in love feels.

If giving a gift is not possible this year, you can give the gift of music as it is extremely personal and will really touch someone. Or if you’re looking for something to listen to while you’re with your partner, these songs would be the perfect addition to your playlists:

“Fool For You” by Snoh Aalegra

This song is so beautiful lyrically and melodically. Aalegra’s music is predominantly love songs, and it’s not a surprise because her voice is the perfect fit. With lyrics such as “It’s somethin’ about you that’s so familiar, somethin’ that’s got me wantin’ to know you, and I can’t put my finger on it, but it feels, oh like I’ve been here before,” the song is meant to be about being in love with someone who you feel like you’ve known forever, also known to be a soulmate. She beautifully portrays being head over heels in love. It’s a perfect song to listen to while staring at the love of your life.

“R.E.M” by Ariana Grande

Listening to this song will make you feel like you’re on cloud 9. It is one of my all time favorite songs because of how light and happy it makes you feel. The feeling you get as you listen to this song can be compared to the feeling of being in love. When you first fall in love, nothing can bring you down. R.E.M, also known as Rapid Eye Movement, is the phase of sleep in which dreams occur, when you are most creative and when memories form. Through her lyrics (which mesh so beautifully with her voice), she describes how falling in love with someone feels like a dream, and she doesn’t want to “wake up” and lose this feeling.

“It will rain” by bruno mars

This song is sadder than the previous ones, but it is one of the most beautiful portrayals of love. The love described by Mars in this song is the “I can’t live without you” type of love, which implies there is a strong connection between two people. With lyrics such as “cause there’ll be no sunlight if I lose you baby, there’ll be no clear skies if I lose you baby, and just like the clouds my eyes will do the same if you walk away, everyday it’ll rain,” he compares the sadness he’ll feel from losing her to gloomy, rainy weather. It’s a powerful song to dedicate to the one, which they will definitely appreciate.

“My Favorite Part” by Mac Miller (Feat. Ariana Grande)

One of the late Mac Miller’s most popular songs, which features his ex-girlfriend Ariana Grande. In this song, Miller speaks on how he feels like Grande is made for him and how she doesn’t understand how in love he is with her/how beautiful she is in his eyes. When Grande comes in, she carries on the same message as Miller but adds that she doesn’t want to rush something so “divine.” It’s such a calm and beautiful song to sing with your partner to remind them how special they are.

“Best Part” by Daniel Caesar (Feat. H.E.R.)

Everyone that breathes knows this song and how beautiful it is. This is another song that makes you feel as though you’re on cloud 9. The lyrics “you’re the coffee that I need in the morning, you’re my sunshine in the rain when it’s pouring” describe the idea that Caesar and H.E.R. cannot go a day without their partner and that their partner is the light of their life. The perfect song to duet with your partner.

“Versace On The Floor” by Bruno Mars

This song is the most intimate one on the list, as Mars details everything that leads to an intimate moment with his partner. He does so by describing the setting around them and then how it is initiated. His lyrics are so well-written and descriptive that you are able to picture the moment he is creating. He also has one of the smoothest voices I have ever heard, and it goes perfectly with the synth piano melody.

“Main Thing” by ariana grande

This song was featured on Ariana Grande’s “Positions (Deluxe)” album, and not many people know it, as it is not talked about/played. As the whole “Positions” album details her journey of being afraid to fall in love to eventually finding the one (who is actually now her husband Dalton Gomez), this song falls as the last on the tracklist. Grande describes feeling secure with the person she is dating and how he makes her feel safe enough to fall in love again. With lyrics such as “It’s time to go, take it nice and slow, tiptoe to the bedroom, lookin’ at me like when it’s cold you gon’ keep me warm, all I wanna do is spend my time with you, even when the learning’s done and nothing’s new,” we see a side of Grande that she was too afraid to share at the beginning of the album, which is that she is ready to fall into the arms of love without any hesitation or fear.

“Mirrors” by Justin Timberlake

This is another song everyone who can breathe knows. It was top of the charts for 38 weeks in 2013. Timberlake describes a soulmate/other half connection that feels too hard to let go of. He doesn’t want to lose his partner because she reflects him and is the only person he sees himself being in love with for the rest of his life. The lyrics “cause I don’t wanna lose you now, I’m lookin’ right at the other half of me, the vacancy that sat in my heart, is a space that now you hold” exemplifies this feeling. It will make you and your partner feel grateful to have each other and remind you of how lucky you are to find someone who reflects your best qualities/points out your worst qualities.

“One In A Million” by Aaliyah

Aaliyah is a singer I have loved since I was a little girl because of my parents, and her music will always be a hit. This song describes how she feels that her partner and the love they have is “one in a million” and rare. The lyrics that exemplify this are “turn me inside out, make my heart speak, need no one else, you’re all I need, personality and everything you do, makes me love everything about you.” If you or your partner love listening to ‘90s R&B, which is what I was raised by my parents to listen to, this is a perfect addition to your playlist.

“So Into You” by Tamia

Last but not least, I wanted to add another throwback song. The remix with Fabulous might be the version everyone knows as it plays on the radio often, but my favorite version is the original one with just Tamia. Her voice and lyrics are a perfect blend to describe the feeling someone gives you when you like them and enjoy their company. With lyrics such as “I think you’re truly something special, just what my dreams are really made of, let’s stay together you and me boy, there’s no one like you around, oh baby,” we can see how this guy is making her feel and how much he means to her. It’s a similar feeling that Aaliyah describes in her song but not blatantly stated.

Allexea Desuyo

Montclair '23

Allexea is a senior undergraduate student majoring in Social Media and Public Relations at Montclair State University. Some of her passions include traveling, taking day trips to NYC, beauty/skincare, and luxury fashion. She hopes to work within the luxury fashion industry, start her own blog and/or as a writer for a fashion magazine. With her articles, she strives to use her knowledge and personal experiences to help others be the best version of themselves.