This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

I love good content, but sometimes it’s hard find the time to sit down and watch my favorite shows, read those articles I have bookmarked on my desktop, or even scroll through my social media. Podcasts are my favorite way to entertain myself while I’m working, commuting, or just trying to pass the time! They make me feel smarter and more knowledgeable and all I have to do is hit “play.”

And the best part? They’re free! You can access tons of free podcasts through Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts, or even specially-made podcast apps like Stitcher.

Here are a few of my favorite regularly-released (and one not-so-regularly released) shows for anyone who’s looking to take a break from their music library and ready to discover some incredible content.  

Keep It!

(1hr – 1hr 30 mins // every Wednesday)

Keep It! is a pop-culture podcast and your routine celebrity gossip hour brought to you by Crooked Media. Every Wednesday, writers and comedians Ira Madison III, Kara Brown, and Louis Virtel sit down and break down the latest news and most popular stories of the week. Sit back and laugh as you listen to the three gossip about Cardi and Nicki’s feud, the latest updates on Ariana Grande, and even some about politics (because that’s relevant too). At the end of each episode, stick around to hear Ira, Kara, and Louis share their “Keep it” of the week, in which they discuss things they would have rather not existed or taken place.

My Favorite Episode: As Good Place As It Gets

The Cut on Tuesdays

(35 mins // every Tuesday)

The Cut on Tuesdays is your weekly womanly motivation, brought to you by New York Magazine and Gimlet Media. Senior Editor of The Cut Molly Fischer takes you through a different topic each week, covering everything from culture to politics, sex to style, and more. Dive deep into the hottest topics talked about  in The Cut office every week and spend time with some of New York’s strongest women with The Cut on Tuesdays.

My Favorite Episode: “If It Were Easy, We’d Have Done It”: Power

Lovett or Leave It

(1 hr // every Saturday)

Lovett or Leave It isn’t just a live comedy show recorded and released every Saturday – it’s also the funniest news briefing you’ve ever heard. Host Jon Lovett brings on a panel every week to talk, make fun of, and play games about politics and current events with esteemed celebrities, media professionals, and activists. Lovett or Leave It is a real easy way to tune into politics and have fun with it too. Stay tuned till the end of each episode for the Rant Wheel in which each panelist has an opportunity to rant about a topic or news story that bothers them.

A note about my REAL favorite episode: It’s just as funny as any of the other episodes but it holds a special place in my heart because my dad took me to see it live for my birthday last year, so it’s kind of old-news: The Real Housewife in Chief

My (current) Favorite Episode: Hearing No Evil

This American Life

(1 hr // every Sunday)

This American Life brings you some of the most interesting stories all across America. From Chicago Public Radio, listen to Ira Glass and many other journalists reach all over the country to find some of the wildest and most-touching stories from real Americans. Over the course of each episode, experience other people’s adventures such as grand gestures of undying love or normal people who’ve convinced themselves they’re someone else. And  if you don’t believe me about how great of a podcast this is, here’s a quote from the show’s host and a list of his favorite episodes:

“When I’m trying to explain our program  to someone who doesn’t know it, I stammer a bunch of words like ‘entertaining,’ ‘funny,’ ‘surprising plot twists,’ ‘true stories but not boring I swear’ … and then I just give them this list,” Ira Glass said.

My Favorite Episode: 638: Rom-Com

Hysteria

(1 hr // every Thursday)

Hysteria is the break from men you’ve been looking for all week by the wonderful women at Crooked Media. Tune in to the show’s host Erin Ryan as she and her team highlight amazing women from around the country and update you on how politics are affecting women at the moment. Keep listening till the end to find out each of the “hills they’ll die on” that week – the frivolous little things that some of us seem to get so passionate about. Join Erin Ryan and the Hysteria crew for your weekly dose of female empowerment every Thursday.

My Favorite Episode: Not Ready to Make Nice?

The Anthropocene Reviewed

(20 mins // sporadically released)

If you love John Green books you’ll love his podcast The Anthropocene Reviewed. Every once in a while John Green and WNYC Studios grace the world with John’s knowledge and opinions on some of the most random topics. Some of the best things John has reviewed so far are Super Mario Kart, Hawaiian pizza, and googling people. The Anthropocene Reviewed may be released as randomly as the subjects seem to be picked, but already there’s a sizable stockpile of random factoids in the show’s archives waiting to be uncovered.

My Favorite Episode: Super Mario Kart and the Bonneville Salt Flats

If you liked any of these suggestions feel free let’s talk about it on my Twitter or Instagram! Happy listening!

Brielle is a sophomore at Montclair State University double-majoring in Communication/Media Arts and French, with a minor in Film. Writing has been her passion since age eight and she's so excited to pursue it in the real world. When she's not writing, she's usually at the movies, listening to podcasts, or scrolling through Twitter. Catch her at Starbucks or follow her on Instagram and Twitter under her handle: @breezegiveshugs.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.