Eggs
Eggs
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

Letting Eggs Drop and Being Fine 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Hippity, Hoppity! Easter is less than one week away, and when coming up with a topic for April, I kept thinking of eggs and how metaphorically they relate to me. First I will present a realistic example with Easter egg hunting, and you will have to guess the message behind the story. 

So Easter is my fourth or fifth favorite holiday because it’s become less fun as I’ve gotten older. Though when I was younger, it was most likely my third because of the Easter egg hunt. We used to do a big family Easter egg hunt at my grandmother’s house, and all the cousins got sorted by egg colors. I either got pink, my favorite color at the time, or purple, my least favorite color, ironically. Nonetheless, we didn’t care about the colors; we only wanted what was inside, such as candy or money. You must note that I was the shortest cousin running about and gathering when we did the hunts. So imagine three-feet-tall me running around carrying a big Easter bag, wearing a bonnet and looking for eggs. It was quite a disaster and funny to watch looking back. However, when collecting eggs, I would hold my basket in one hand and hold my hat, trying to grab easter eggs. It was alot to do at once; sometimes, when I would pick up an egg, my bonnet would fall, then the bag drooped to the ground, and I would drop the egg.

As a kid, you may cry, but you might just pick yourself back up, dust yourself off and try again. As a kid, you’re okay with everything falling apart at that moment. However, once you get yourself back up, the egg may drop from your hand again. By that time, you move on from that egg and try again later. You’re okay with letting that egg or priority go. As I got older, juggling college classes, volunteering and participating in clubs, I had to reteach myself what the younger me already knew. In that, you can’t carry everything; you’ll have to let one to a few things drop just to save your sanity, be okay with it and deal with the consequences. 

No matter how much you schedule your time out to a T, something will come up and throw you off that path. In doing so, you may sacrifice dropping something or finding another time to finish a project. For example, I didn’t write a second Her Campus article for March. I was overwhelmed with midterms, and some life things came up, and I dropped writing an article, but I still wrote one, but at a later date, which my Her Campus Montclair president and I found a reasonable time to hand it in. So to end, here are a few things to remember: Be kind to yourself, know it’s not the end of the world if you have to drop something and you can only do your best!

Holley is currently a senior at Montclair State University; she majors in English and minors in Business. Her wish is to pursue a career in music marketing. Holley thinks writing is a way to heal oneself and inspire others. Besides writing, she likes catching up on social media and reading graphic novels.