This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Yesterday was one of the biggest nights for Sunday night football, Super Bowl LIV. Congratulations to the Kansas City Chiefs for their huge win last night and taking home the Vince Lombardi trophy after 50 years. It was also a huge night for all of the Latinx community as two of our biggest artists hit the stage for an amazing halftime performance. Prior to the show, there were a lot of comments made in reference to one artist sharing the stage with another, and how we shouldn’t be too excited for a “mediocre” performance. Here’s what I have to say about that.

JLo and Shakira absolutely crushed it last night for their 14 min set at this year’s Super Bowl. Last year was a bit of a disappointment with Maroon 5’s performance, so there was a lot of pressure on them, pushing them to create a memorable show that will obviously give people a lot to say. To start, what an accomplishment having two beautiful, Latina, successful artists hit the stage together. It definitely made the Latin community proud and they did not disappoint with their performance. Shakira starting the show brought us her unforgettable throwbacks like “Shewolf”, “Whenever, Wherever”, and “Hips don’t lie” to name a few and she definitely showed us that at her age of 43 her hips still don’t lie. Her radiant energy was felt through the crowd and for all those that said she wasn’t big enough to share a stage with JLO, I’d have to disagree. To top things off she brought out Bad Bunny (loml) who is a huge trap artist in our community and has made hit after hit these past few years. I’d definitely recommend listening to his music as well (it’s a vibe). Together they performed “I like It” which definitely hyped up the crowd.

We then switched off to see none other than Jenny from the Block and she definitely brought the Bronx to that Miami stage. She too hit us with those unforgettable throwbacks like “Jenny from the Block”, “Love Don’t Cost a Thing”, and “Waiting for Tonight.” Jlo showed up and showed out proving that she’s clearly still got it by performing some very sexy dance moves she learned while filming for the movie Hustlers. She also brought out another huge artist in the Latin community, JBalvin and together performed “Mi Gente”. An unforgettable moment that will live on forever with JLo was the ability to have her daughter Emme share the stage with her in one of the biggest nights of her life. Emme stunned the crowd with her powerful vocals (which we all know were inherited by her father, Marc Anthony (no shade to JLo)). We then got a taste of Shakira and JLo sharing the stage to close out the performance together. Here they sang two of the biggest hits “Waka, Waka” and “Let’s Get Loud” while dancing their butts off (literally).

Last night Puerto Ricans, Colombians and all of the Latin community were absolutely proud of this moment that will live on in history forever. We got the representation we needed on one of the biggest stages in the world and although there will always be people with negative commentary; this was a win in our books. Their performance reminded the world that even with all the bs we are put through we can all still come together, enjoy the night, and show everyone what it means to have a good time. If you missed last night’s performance hit the link down below, sit back, relax and enjoy the show.

Nayely Hernandez is a fashion studies major student at Montclair State University. She has been passionately obsessed with fashion since the age of 7 and is excited for her future in the industry. She is currently running her start up face mask business, trying to keep everyone safe yet stylish one mask at a time. Aside from fashion, she enjoys watching telenovelas with her mom with a side of chips and guac. Check out some of her content on Instagram: @jelly_4_life
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.