Korean Dramas to Watch If You Just Got into Kpop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

With our BTS boys becoming world icons and giving a killer speech at the UN (Go RM!) the K-wave is becoming more prominent. If you’re one of those people who just got into the hallyu wave and want to watch some kdramas but aren’t sure where to start, here are just some of my favorites to start off!

“Boys Over Flowers” (꽃보다 남자)

Oh my gosh where do I even start with this drama… Aired in the beginning of 2009, it’s your typical “rich boy falls in love with poor girl” type of drama, but it was so cute and people were all over it. Not to mention all four of the male leads, especially Lee Minho, were beautiful! In the show, Geum Jandi receives a scholarship to attend Shinhwa High School and meets the F4, who turn her life upside down. Among all that chaos, she finds solace and comfort in friends and an eventual love interest. Hinting at a love triangle!If the fluffy romantic comedy is your scene, I promise you that you won’t be disappointed.

“The Moon that Embraces the Sun” (해를 품은 달)

If you’re big on history, then this is the show for you! “The Moon that Embraces the Sun” takes place in the Joseon Dynasty of Korea. Kim Soo Hyun is an emperor in the show and could I just take the time to say that he was beautiful. It isn’t an understatement to say that he got most of his popularity from this show, not to mention that his love interest was Han Ga In! The plot and story line was so intense. I would highly recommend!

“Secret Garden” (시크릿 가든)

This one is an absolute classic in Korea! Looking back, it was super mushy and kind of corny, but still super cute. Hyun Bin and Ha Ji Won were goals in this drama, and their friendship is still progressing to this day. The iconic whipped cream kiss and Hyun Bin’s sparkly blue tracksuit is only one of the many reasons that you should start watching this drama!

Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.