Kids in America: Do Children and Politics Really Mix?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

A ten-year-old boy inspired me to write this.

That seems simple enough, but that 10-year old will also be the first boy to live in the White House since John F. Kennedy Jr. in the 1960s. The reason for his exclusive position has become one of the most controversial events in American history.

In the time since his father has been the President of the United States, Barron Trump has also been victim to harsh, unnecessary criticism and not for anything he personally has done. His young age and being mixed up in this ever-savage political climate really does beg a certain question: are children and politics a good mix?

I cannot speak on behalf young children or parents since I am not one. I don’t even think it’s right for me to speak on behalf of someone who spends a lot of time with children since I don’t. So instead I’ll speak as someone who has seen the drastic change in governing issues in recent years and is fully aware that the kids of America will be the ones affected in the long run.

Childhood is one of the most influential parts of a person’s life. At that vulnerable stage, they have yet to create their own values and beliefs that make up who they will be as adults. But in special circumstances – such as this administration – it’s nearly impossible to blind a child from it all.

Presently, it appears that every day, while they are in school, on playdates with friends, or running around the playground, it becomes a learning experience. There is a new wave of people who are aware of the existence of social issues, regardless of what their stance on them are. This means that there is an entire generation being taught about injustices, matters of the LGBTQ community and that they should speak up when they feel or see that something is wrong.

When it gets to that point, it doesn’t uniquely hold the title of being an adult issue. It’s a human issue that kids are being exposed to at a young age. They are matters that affect all people of all ages. The actions and steps we, both civilians and the authority, take will benefit today’s youth in their future. I imagine they’ll have endless questions and in many cases, only a finite amount of answers. However, there is no better time than the present for children to be informed of everything that’s going on.

Admittingly, it was a struggle for me to come to this conclusion. I went a very long time believing that, just as there is material targeted for younger audiences, there are some materials that aren’t suited for them. But the world, just as a child, is constantly growing and changing. After all, they do have a voice and a mind of their own.

In 20 or 30 years, these kids will have 10-year-olds of their own. They will all be living a life different than the one we are now in. I’m curious to know if somewhere down the line, they will be are reiterating their journey to their own children, assuming they remember it clearly enough. They may each look back on it differently, but at least there’s something to look back on.

For any underage person that feels overwhelmed by the world today, please learn from and embrace it. We are always put into uncomfortable situations, that if handled correctly, shape and change us.

So to answer the question if kids and politics really mix, the answer is a skeptical and apprehensive no. Should they, however, is an absolute and irrevocable yes.

Image Sources: 1 2

I'm just as unique as everybody else. I am an English major with a journalism minor with a fear of aging and a belief that there's no better match than pizza and wine. When I'm not writing, you can find me watching Netflix, listening (and badly signing along) to Broadway showtunes, and working on my never-ending reading list. 
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.