Style > Beauty

Joy & Pain — Why We Have a Love/Hate Relationship with Acrylic Nails

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

To get or not to get acrylic nails. That is the question! If you’re indecisive about getting some sort of gel or fake nails, here a pros and cons list laid out just for you so you can see if it is all worth it.

Here’s why we love and hate acrylic nails.

Pro: *TAPTAPTAPTAPTAPTAP*

The sounds that these nails can make are so satisfying and ASMR esque. When you’re bored or nervous or for no reason, just tap…ANYWHERE as your heart desires.

Con: These can cost a LOT of money!

Being a college student alone is enough to break the bank so you really don’t need something as insignificant as nails to add on another bill once or twice a month. The cheapest places I’ve been to is $35 for a new set and $25 for refills, my friends place is $65 for a new set and $45 for refills, and someone I know spent $100 on a new set…I couldn’t believe it.

Pro: They look FABULOUS!

Having whatever color you want and being able to design your long nails is empowering and looks SO classy. I’m truly living my best life when I get my nails freshly filled. I feel so confident and beautiful!

Con: You can’t use your nails like you used to.

Up until this moment, you have taken your short nails for granted. If you try picking up a credit card flat on the table or anything else for that matter…it ain’t gonna happen. I ask my roommate to put my earrings in for me and at work I have to ask coworkers to help me open boxes believe it or not.

Pro: They can also be perfect for nail-biting habits!

There’s nothing you can bite off when you got fake sparkly purple gel on you nail. Also who would want to ruin 50 bucks worth of beauty!

Con: Scratching = not possible.

If you have an itch, you’re better off asking a friend to scratch it for you because for some reason acrylic nails just can’t do the job. Not to mention, scrubbing your scalp while shampooing just can’t happen anymore. A true tragedy.

Pro: You can spice up your look according to vacations, holidays and seasons!

Get red and green, burgundy, or blue and white around Christmas time. Pick bright and light summery colors like ocean blue and sandy pastels for vacation time. The possibilities are endless! Don’t forget to jazz up that accent ring finger nail!

Con: It makes your real nail underneath much weaker

The gel substance on top of the nail does not allow your nail to breathe and before putting it on, they shave down a layer for it to lay better, so when you finally take them off, they’re pretty gross looking and are very flimsy.

Pro: Your nails just look bangin’ everyday!

Don’t have to worry about cutting them if they get too long or worrying about your cuticles because they just get pushed down each time you get them refilled.

Con: Basically a catch-all dish for your fingers.

Under the nail, there can be leftover food, dirt, and just general bacteria that could build up if not washed properly! This could be a health hazard and just plain gross if you ask me.

If you have the funds and the motivation to get it, I say go for it! But if you value being able to pick things up and paying for more necessary items in your life, I’d pass on it. But maybe treat yourself to them for a birthday present! Either way, do what’s comfortable and do you girl!

Melanie is a 21 year old, senior, Communication & Media Arts major and Her Campus Montclair's Events Director. She loves listening to music, dancing, writing, drawing, doing makeup, and having fun with friends. Melanie is very extroverted and loves to go on adventures. She's constantly on social media and is always updated on her favorite Kpop bands!
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.