Style

Jason Wu Collection S/S 2020: A Flowery Path

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Jason Wu debuted a tasteful and elegant collection of designs for ready-to-wear Spring/Summer 2020. Earlier today, he was able to capture the perfect ambiance for his designs with a dimly lit studio and hints of bushes and flowers to accentuate the theme of nature.

There were a lot of common factors throughout this collection from dresses to two-piece sets. There were realistic flower designs, silky fabrics and slits – which were featured on many dresses and skirts. There was also a particular color that stood out to me during the show, which was deep warm-toned pink. This pigment is bright like the color of a flower would be and was the perfect color to feature among the designs as it fits perfectly next to the off-white runway and panels of greenery.

Jason Wu also showed a lot of texture play to showcase more flower designs. Instead of prints, he used a lot of ruffling textures to accentuate necklines and bodices that had ruffling designs to resemble flowers. This showed elegance, as many designs didn’t need prints to make them pop. A variety of necklines were also featured; from deep scooped, sweetheart, and decollete necklines, all were fitting as they allow more skin to be shown during the warmer months.

The looks for the models were represented to be delicate and mostly neutral looks, as the main focus was the eye makeup – an orange blown out smokey eye. Jewelry was shown to be minimal and followed the mismatched earrings trend by using many golden pieces. To top it all off, the hairstyles all had deep side parts and were slicked back to allow more attention to be on the makeup and designs.

As I was seeing these designs walk through the off-white runway, surrounded by forest and greenery, it looked as though the designs were one with nature. I believe this was shown perfectly with the range of colors used – light greens, warm-toned pinks, mesh nudes and speckled black and white. Jason Wu’s designs seem to be the perfect ready-to-wear collection, as there were countless pieces that were very wearable and able to express both daytime and night-out vibes.

Harmeen is a student at Montclair State University, New Jersey and is majoring in Business Administration with a Concentration in Marketing. Of course, besides being a Marketing student, she's interested in fashion and lifestyle, and motivated to write unique pieces for her interests.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.