Life > Academics

It’s That Time of the Year Again: Managing Your Time in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As school work and student involvement come into play, it can be hard to manage time. Stressing over what assignment is due, when the next club meeting is or when you have to catch up with a friend are all valuable things that go into properly managing your time. 

Losing track of what needs to be done can lead to a spiral. That’s why buying a monthly planner, downloading calendar apps, and making to-do lists are crucial to making college life more simple.

This planner by Day Designer, available at Target is great for daily, weekly and monthly time tracking. The pages even have blank cups of water that you can color in to ensure that you’re drinking enough water throughout the day. This planner has enough space to write down all of your homework assignments, appointments and more. You can even buy multiple for different reasons, such as one for school, one for work and one for appointments. 

Calendar apps also help to alert you when you have something important coming up in your schedule, to remind you to make time to prepare. The Apple Calendar is always the go-to, but TimeTree is great to make different calendars and you can even share it with friends and family to collaborate on. That way, if you find it hard to make plans, a collaborative calendar can help figure out what day and time is best to meet. 

To-do lists are amazing for when you need to plan out your day. Making a to-do list the night before is best so you aren’t stressed out in the morning. Try to coordinate times for each event on your to-do list to help organize your day. You can simply make one using a blank piece of paper or using your notes app. 

Managing time in college can be overwhelming for anyone. Working on better managing can help you organize your thoughts and events while enjoying your college experience. Buying a planner, using a calendar app and making to-do lists are beneficial to contribute to your process.

A passionate student multimedia journalist at Montclair State University and current Extern at NJ Spotlight News. From covering news to intriguing features pieces, I love writing and reporting. I started writing articles my freshman year of high school, and now am building my professional career of becoming a journalist. Hearing the opinions of others brings me joy, and getting to share those opinions with others means the world to me. I enjoy sharing important information with the world and putting the audience first. Caring for others is my strong suit, and writing is my outlet. Within campus media, I am currently News Editor at The Montclarion, Digital Marketing Team Member for WMSC, and part of the SCM Mentorship Program. I am also a Club President for Montclair State Circle K International. Creating social media content, conducting interviews, reporting, writing and editing are my best hobbies.