It’s Goal Setting Time!: Why You Should Create a Vision Board to Help You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Do you have any goals you want to work on and accomplish this year? Need some motivation to help remind you of your ability to achieve what your heart desires? Feel a little confused about where to start? I got you covered boo. In this article, I’ll be telling you about an easy and fun way to help you with your goal-setting for 2020: a vision board

A vision board is a collage of images, words, and quotes that show your goals and the lifestyle you want to have. The purpose of creating a vision board is to help you organize your goals and visualize what you want in your life. You can look back and refer to it whenever you need some motivation or a reminder of what you are trying to achieve.  

Brainstorming Session:

Before you get into creating the board, first you have to think about what intentions and goals you plan on setting this year. So now is the time to get out your pen and paper and have a “brain dump” session. Write down everything on your mind. This will help clear the mind and make the process easier for you when you go searching for your images. 

During this time, ask yourself this, “By the end of this year, what do I want to say I accomplished? When I look back at this time in my life, what do I want to remember?” From there you can think about what you want certain aspects in your life to look like, such as school, career, health, recreation, family, romantic, religious/spiritual, and more. You want to get that dream internship or job? Write that down. Do you want to travel more this year? Write that down. Whatever you want to do, experience, and/or change about your life write it down. Only you know what you can do and what you want in your life. While our experiences and ideas may change over time,  allow yourself to think and dream big and explore what your heart truly wants for you this year

Finding Your Inspiration Images:

Yay! It’s time for you to find some inspirational images! Make sure that you refer back to the list of your goals and intentions while you look for images for your board. Doing this will keep your mind focused to find images that are specific to what you want to achieve. 

One of the easiest ways to find your images is through apps and websites like Pinterest, Instagram, etc. There you can find so many pretty pictures and motivational quotes that you can use for your board.  Also, you can dig up your old magazines and look through them to find some images for your board. Choose words and quotes that will motivate you to believe in yourself and that you have the power to accomplish what you want this year. Choose images that will help you visualize yourself living the life that you want. 

Putting it All Together: 

Now you get to decide how you’re going to make it!  You can create a physical vision board or you can create a digital vision board. 

Option #1: For a physical vision board, you’ll need either a poster board, corkboard, cardboard, or any other kind of material where you can put your visuals. You can even make one in your diary or bullet journal.  Along with that, you’ll also need glue and scissors so you can cut and paste your materials onto your board. You can then start searching for your visuals by looking through old magazines and cutting out inspiring images and words that go along with your vision. Or you can go on  Pinterest and other similar websites, and find some motivational quotes and visuals and print them out for your board. In addition to your pictures and quotes, you can also use stickers, glitter, and anything else that makes your board complete in your eyes.  

Option #2: For a digital vision board, you can easily create on any digital device by using apps, websites, and software where you can create a collage. For example, some include Canva, Google Slides, Adobe Photoshop, PicMonkey, as well as many others out there you can try. Many of these have cool templates, borders, and grids to help you organize your images into a collage. For images, you can go on Pinterest, Instagram, or other similar websites and find pictures and quotes for your board. After that you can start copying and pasting the images onto your digital board. When you are done, you can either print it out and frame it or you can save it on your device and refer to it whenever you need to. 

I hope you find this an easy and creative way to help you with your goal-setting this year! Get out your materials and remember a vision board’s purpose is to help you visualize your goals and help you believe you will receive them. You already have what it takes to make them your reality. Now go out there, keep your visions in mind, and physically take action to make your dreams come alive. Stay positive and make this the decade that you choose to shine, accomplish, and thrive!

Zakiya Jones

Rutgers '23

Zakiya is a senior at Rutgers University with a major in Communication specializing in Strategic Public Communication and Public Relations. She is a contributing writer for Her Campus Rutgers and is so happy to be a part of the Her Campus Rutgers team!
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.