I Tried Lush Products for the First Time and I’m Actually Impressed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

I remember when everyone I knew suddenly became obsessed with Lush products about two summers ago. Apparently, their bath bombs were the coolest thing ever and their face masks were to die for. Plus, their products are fresh, handmade, and aren’t tested on animals! My friends were constantly raving about their spa nights, but I didn’t care much at the time.

Fast forward to September 2016 and a Lush store opens up in the mall that I work in. The first time I walked in the store, I was so overwhelmed by all of the different products. I just wanted to explore and see what they had to offer, but the sales associates wouldn’t leave me alone! (Which says a lot, considering I’m a salesperson myself!) I gave up and decided to wait on picking up my first Lush products.

A few months later, my co-worker got a second job at Lush! She was able to tell me which products would be best for my skin and got me some pretty good deals! I ended up getting the Herbalism cleanser, Cup O’ Coffee mask, and Mint Julips lip scrub.

Here’s what I thought of each product:

Herbalism Cleanser

One of my biggest concerns with my skin is how oily my face can get. My co-worker suggested the Herbalism cleanser, so I went ahead and bought it. The packaging claims that it will “mop up excess oils” and that’s exactly what it does! It’s made with ground almonds for a gentle exfoliation, rice vinegar to help with excess oil, and rose to soothe sensitive skin.

I must say that it’s an odd-looking cleanser. It has a very crumbly texture, and you have to pick a little bit off from the giant clumps of cleanser. You take a pinch of it in the palm of your hand, mix a little bit of water, and then massage on your face (or body). I absolutely love it even though it has a very plant-like scent to it.

Cup O’ Coffee Mask

I actually discovered the Cup O’ Coffee mask while scrolling through the Lush Cosmetics app on my phone. I’m a huge coffee fanatic, so I immediately knew I had to get this mask. I honestly had no real need for it, but I wanted it. I’m so glad I got it because it smells like a strong cup of coffee – perfect for waking me up on mornings that I don’t want to get out of the house!

The mask literally has ground coffee in it, which works as an amazing exfoliator. Since it’s a mask, you leave it on for 15 minutes, then massage and rinse off. I only use it in the shower because it does get very messy! I actually can’t tell if it does anything for my skin, but it’s fun, invigorating, and it’s literally coffee, so I love it.

Mint Julips Lip Scrub

The Mint Julips lip scrub came in such a tiny container that I panicked when I got it. I didn’t realize how little of it you actually need. I’ve been using a few times each week and you can’t even tell that any is missing! The small container seems like it will last me forever.

The best part about this lip scrub is that it’s edible. When you’re done scrubbing your lips, you lick off the excess product! It’s the perfect amount of mint, not too overpowering and just the right amount of sweet. The mint and sugar combination makes you use it even when your lips don’t even need to be exfoliated! Lush also has a lip balm called Buttered Brazils (that I have not yet tried), which combined together make a mint-chocolate chip combination!

If you haven’t tried Lush products yet, I hope that this article inspires you to finally go out there and try that face mask (or cleanser, bath bomb, lip scrub, etc.)! They are worth every penny. Just remember that since the products are made fresh, they do expire eventually!

Image Source: 1

Amina is currently a senior at Montclair State University studying communication and journalism. She has a passion for writing, digital media and creating content. When she's not writing, you can probably find her catching up on current events, trying new fitness classes or searching for the next best restaurant. You can view more of her work at aminalake.com.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.