This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s October, you know what that means! Halloween is upon us and what better way to get into the holiday spirit by watching some horror/thriller films. 

However, some cult favorites are funnier than they are scary and you end up feeling jipped by the end of it. So, I would like to review some of Hulu’s top horror movies and find out if it’s worth the hype; will I have to sleep with a nightlight after it or start thinking about doing my taxes to give myself a real scare?

Pure:

I started off by watching this Hulu original movie that I’ve been hearing a lot of hype about. The women in the prairie dresses on the movie cover give off a really eerie, vintage vibe and I was sooo here for it. But it was lowkey a bit disappointing. Though I enjoyed watching this film, it was more creepy and weird than frightening. 

It was also strangely empowering. Still, don’t know how I feel about how a demon lady’s possession of someone helped the characters see that their self worth and spiritual value has nothing to do with how chaste they are– but we’re here for this endorsement! 

A Quiet Place:

First seeing this in theaters a year ago, I knew I had to see it again when it showed in my suggestions. The family this film follows is just so lovely and the love they have for one another is heartwarming. 

I think it’s because of these special connections I made with the characters that made the film so difficult to watch at some points. No one wants to watch their favorite characters walk the tight line, however watching these characters escape the dangers of this post apoptotic world feels so good. Especially Evelyn’s bathtub scene. One word for that: badass. 

Saw:

I was honestly prepared to hate this one. I seriously thought this cult favorite would end up being really overhyped, but in my strong opinion, it lives up to it. It has just the right amount of gore that doesn’t overpower the plotline, which I was worried about. 

I really enjoyed this serial killer mystery from the psychological games Jigsaw forced upon his captives, to the plot twist at the end. This movie won’t disappoint!

Paranormal Activity 2:

I was 11 when this came out and I remember it scared the bejeezus out of me and nine years later, it still does. There’s something about how this is filmed in third perspective, all the footage is said to come from security cameras and stuff, that makes it seem so real. 

Unlike A Quiet Place, I didn’t develop emotional ties with the characters, but it did feel as though we were all going through these events together. This made the movie pretty frightening and gasp-filled. I’m usually really into the spirit and exorcist type genre anyway, so it was a no brainer that I ended up liking this film. 

I really loved watching all of these and hope y’all consider these options when planning your own Halloween movie marathon!

Ana Hilario

Montclair '21

Ana graduated from Montclair State University with a degree in English. She loves reading, traveling, coffee, llamas, and the Oxford comma. Follow her on Instagram @ana_hilarious_ for good vibes and funky outfits.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.