burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

How to Wear Your Hair with Any Outfit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Choosing outfits and styling them with the right accessories, jewelry, and makeup is stressful enough… then add in picking the right hairstyle, it can be tough! With all the constant hair trends out there (up, down, braids, buns, etc.) it is hard to decide what hairstyle will complement different outfits. But no worries! Here are some tips to help you choose the right do!

Down

Wearing your hair down is always a nice and feminine style. When it comes to floral dresses, button-down blouses, and lace – down and flowing is almost always the best way to keep the girly vibes going, especially if you have long hair. Short hair, like cropped and bob haircuts, also looks great with many styles such as halter and off-the-shoulder tops.

Ponytail

Ponytails are an easy way to get the hair out of your face! Since they expose your face and neck, ponytails are usually great to pull off when you are wearing some makeup rather than bare-faced. They look very sleek with chokers or statement necklaces. When wearing tops with cutouts, fun straps, and necklines, or athletic-style sporty looks, a ponytail is usually the best way to go!

Braided 

Braids are very on-trend! There are many different ways to wear them (the side braid, pigtail, fishtail, french, dutch) and they all look good with various looks. A side braid is a nice and simple style that looks great with long sweaters, scarves, and boho style outfits. Pigtail and Dutch braids are cute and fun for casual looks such as sporty tanks and rompers. French braids are elegant and look great with dressier styles. You can go on Youtube and find a braid for almost every occasion!

Bun

Buns are cute and lots of fun! The stereotypical “bunhead” is seen and celebrated everywhere now! This style can be messy or formal, and people typically tend to use one or the other extreme when rocking this look. A messy bun can look great with a cute t-shirt and leggings, while a neater bun will look lovely with a fancy dress or girly skirt!

Photo Sources: 12, 3, 4, 5

Zoe Nolz

Montclair '21

Zoe is a student at Montclair State University. She is the current Fashion and Beauty Editor for Her Campus Montclair. When she is not in class or doing work, you can catch her hanging with friends, shopping, writing, watching movies, drinking smoothies, just chilling or off on an adventure!
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.