How to Make Time for Yourself as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Whether you’re a full-time or part-time student, college life can be difficult. When classwork, jobs, meetings and more begin to take over your life, it can be hard to find time for yourself. Classes can take up almost your entire day depending on how many classes you choose to take. The classwork you receive may take hours or days to complete. A job can have you scheduled for numerous hours every day, with only a day or two off if given. Meetings can take a toll depending on what they’re for. Overall, being in college comes with a lot of negatives. But, there are positives if you allow yourself to make time to enjoy both college and your life. 

A helpful start would be to dedicate an hour out of your day to dedicate to yourself. You can use this time to do anything; clean your room, take a long shower, spend time with family and friends and more. This opportunity will allow you to avoid technology and have some time to be alone with yourself and/or loved ones. Just an hour can relieve your overworked brain and body and give both time to rejuvenate. 

Another helpful tip would be to speak to someone about your struggles. This could be a family member, a friend or a therapist if accessible. Getting stressful things off your chest and mind can make all the difference as a college student, rather than letting your thoughts roam and fill your head. Either of these resources can also provide you with valuable advice to further take care of yourself. 

Getting involved on campus can also allow you to make time for yourself outside of class and work. Joining clubs, Greek Life or other organizations can allow you to not only take your mind off of the stressors, but also allow you to make friends that can last a lifetime. Clubs and organizations usually meet once a week and host various events, allowing you to choose when you can become more involved based on your availability. 

Finding time for yourself can come with hardships as a college student, but the benefits are worth it. Finding friends, receiving support, taking care of yourself and more just by taking some time out of your day can help relieve the daily stressors of being a college student. Working on building a habit to take time for yourself and not dedicate your life to solely class, work and other school-related tasks can aid in making college enjoyable and also to make your life easier. Freeing up an hour in your schedule, speaking to someone about your stress-induced thoughts, joining campus clubs and organizations and more can make student life beneficial.

A passionate student multimedia journalist at Montclair State University and current Extern at NJ Spotlight News. From covering news to intriguing features pieces, I love writing and reporting. I started writing articles my freshman year of high school, and now am building my professional career of becoming a journalist. Hearing the opinions of others brings me joy, and getting to share those opinions with others means the world to me. I enjoy sharing important information with the world and putting the audience first. Caring for others is my strong suit, and writing is my outlet. Within campus media, I am currently News Editor at The Montclarion, Digital Marketing Team Member for WMSC, and part of the SCM Mentorship Program. I am also a Club President for Montclair State Circle K International. Creating social media content, conducting interviews, reporting, writing and editing are my best hobbies.