Life > Experiences

How I Celebrated My 21st Birthday Amid a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

When you’re 16, you just can’t wait to turn 18 and be a legal adult. When you’re 18, you can’t wait to turn 21 so you can legally drink, party and have fun. I never thought I would be celebrating my 21st birthday during a global pandemic and see the world succumb to acts of violence all at once. The thought of doing something “fun” like a party or bar hopping for my birthday just didn’t feel right. 

So here’s what I did instead:

Of course I wanted to look good to go absolutely nowhere and do what any normal person would do: SPEND ALL MY MONEY ON MY NAILS, HAIR AND LASHES OF COURSE. So that’s exactly what I did! 

My nails and lashes got done in the same week, but my hair had to wait. On the day of my actual birthday, I woke up early and drove to my best friend’s house so we could get our hair done together. When I arrived at her house, she surprised me with a small cake and candles. She also made me breakfast and iced coffee. Talk about a core moment! Then we headed to the car and drove to the hair salon! We jammed out and sang our favorite songs all the way there.

I decided I wanted to do something different with my hair, so I asked for curtain bangs and a lighter balayage. To say it turned out great would be an understatement because I absolutely LOVED it! After we did our hair, it was photoshoot time in the parking lot. I got some fire flicks with my new hair and birthday outfit. 

Afterwards, it was time to eat, and we drove to the nearest restaurant, which was Olive Garden. I was so excited to order my drink because I could flaunt my ID and prove I was finally 21! Our waitress was nice enough to give me a free desert since it was my birthday, which made my day even better. Before I knew it, the day was over and I spent the rest of my evening celebrating my birthday on FaceTime with my boyfriend who’s away in Virginia in the Army. 

Although it wasn’t spent partying away at a club or creating the world’s worst hangover, it was still spent with people I care about. I was still able to have fun while also being safe. Through the use of masks and vaccinations, hopefully we can get back into some normalcy. I hope all the up and coming 21 year olds will be able to find more ways to celebrate the big event. 

Still not feeling safe enough? Enjoy some of these 21st birthday ideas that are safe and fun:

1. Sip and Paint at Home 

Get those canvases out and bring on the paint brushes! It’s time to get artistic with a bottle of wine (or an alcohol of your choice) and paint away to your heart’s content. Let’s just see if anyone can guess what you painted once you and the bottle of alcohol is done. 

2. Projector Movie Night with Family and Friends 

You can get a cheap projector off Amazon and set up your favorite streaming platform. Call up some (vaccinated) friends and family members over for a fun movie night with drinks and food. 

3. Themed Dinner at Home

Themed dinners have been all the rave, and possibilities are endless. Perhaps everyone can dress up as their Hogwarts House? Or their favorite TV villain? Invite some close friends or your family over, and have a good time. The decorations and food could go according to the theme or everyone is welcomed to bring their own dishes too. 

So, whoever is celebrating their 21st birthday this year, ENJOY IT! No matter what you decide to do, whether it’s one of the ideas I listed above or something else of your choice, just live in the moment and enjoy your special day. After all, you only turn 21 once!

Arieliz Ramos

Montclair '23

I'm Arieliz and I'm a student at Montclair State University. Fashion & Beauty enthusiast. Harry Styles lover. Coffee Addict.