How the Grinch Stole Christmas is the best Christmas Movie, Change My Mind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

The holiday season is among us and it’s time for us to cuddle around each other and watch Christmas movies. There are hundreds of Christmas movies that people can watch every day during the month of December. Some people like Home Alone and some people like It’s A Wonderful Life. But my favorite Christmas movie is the live-action How the Grinch Stole Christmas starring Jim Carrey. 

I can watch this movie all year round and it always gives me a good laugh as if I was watching it for the first time. I wanted a Grinch themed birthday and my birthday is in July. But the Grinch is more than just a Christmas movie. Like other Christmas movies, the Grinch teaches you the true value of Christmas, that Christmas is more than just receiving presents and more about giving back to those we love.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas teaches us about discrimination, self-love and kindness.

The whole reason the Grinch doesn’t live among the Whos of Whoville isn’t that he never liked Christmas, it’s because when he was younger his classmates made fun of the way he looked. As the years go by, the people of Whoville become afraid of him because he doesn’t look like them. He’s green, hairy and doesn’t have a Who nose, and most importantly to them, he doesn’t have Christmas spirit.

This causes him to no longer love himself because no one has shown him love. Well, that’s beside the two women who took care of him before he ran off. He simply wanted to be loved by Martha May Whovier but that didn’t happen because she let everyone else’s discriminatory thoughts stop her from having feelings for him. So instead of human relationships, he turns to his dog Max for animal companionship, as most of us do. 

When little miss Cindy Lou Who met the Grinch, she showed him nothing but kindness. Something that he had never received from anyone down in Whoville. All of the interactions that he had with Cindy Lou eventually made his heart grow three sizes. If that doesn’t make you feel warm inside, I don’t know what does.

This movie will forever be apart of my top two favorite movies and it’s not number two. For those who don’t appreciate the Grinch, I don’t think we can be friends. 

And that’s on the holiday season. 

Imeera Cox

Montclair '22

Imeera Cox is a junior EOF scholar at Montclair State University and majors in Public Relations. Imeera is excited to write about what interest her from lifestyle tips, theatre, and social justice issues. During her free time, Imeera is usually binging her favorite TV shows or movie franchises, listening to many Musical Theatre soundtracks, or online shopping.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.