sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How To Celebrate Valentines Day — The Long Distance Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Are you in a relationship? Are you separated from your partner because of college or a job or perhaps where you even live? As Valentine’s Day creeps around the corner with its box of chocolates and roses, long-distance couples tend to feel left out on the love each year. Well this year, I’m going to give you helpful hints that take the thorns out of the roses and gives you a perfect Valentine’s Day, but the long distance way!

Personally, I love Valentine’s Day because it’s a day where everyone seems to spread and show their love for their special someone. I have been in a committed relationship for a few years now and my special someone has always made sure to give me the best Valentine’s Day possible, despite the fact that we are both away at college.

Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean to spend over $50 on gifts and $100 more on a fancy dinner, there are so many things you can do show your appreciation. I mean hey, last year I was surprised by my boyfriend holding a 50-piece chicken nugget box from McDonalds and I could not have been happier. Here are some ways you could make your special someone feel loved and appreciated, despite the distance!  

1. Write them a love letter

You could mail them a letter, tell them all the things you love about them, because trust me, the little things do matter.

2. Send them a surprise

You could send them a surprise gift such as flowers, chocolates, or a piece of jewelry.

3. Chat face to face…or the closest thing

Luckily in this day and age, we have technology and we have FaceTime!  I have had countless amounts of facetime movie dates with my special someone. As ridiculous as it sounds, you are still able to laugh together and sort of feel each other’s company.  

There is so much pressure to make big romantic gestures on this day, which can be difficult when you have distance between you two. However sweet reminders of love are always nice no matter how far apart you and your SO are.

Delanie DeMarco is currently a junior at Montclair ('21) studying communication. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her planning another vacation,(badly) singing early 2000's hits, or crying over dog videos. She loves everything pop culture and her ultimite inspiration is Erin Lim(from Snapchat's "The Rundown"). Delanie's personal motto is to create and inspire.