Life > Experiences

How To Bond With Your Roomate/S

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Moving into college and living with a new roommate, or someone you don’t know can be awkward and a little uncomfortable at first. For me personally, I had built a connection and friendship with my roommate before us moving in. We met via Zoom during some classes that we had together and we were put in a group to do a project. We instantly became good friends but didn’t meet until moving. We love coming up with bonding activities for both of us. It is a fun way to spend time together and also relieve the stress that we may have during the week with classes. It’s honestly been so fun and I consider myself so lucky to have such an amazing roommate who has become one of my best friends. I can honestly say I have found the Rachel to my Monica and I hope that you do too. By bonding with your new roommate, you could end up gaining a new best friend. Here are some bonding activities suggestions that you can try with your roommate!

Movie Nights/ Netflix

Get in your comfy clothes or PJs, grab some snacks and have a movie night or watch a show on Netflix together. This is a simple bonding activity but is also very fun! My roommate and I are avid Friends and Gilmore Girls watchers, so we always have it on. On Valentine’s day, we had a To All the Boys I Loved Before Marathon and watched the new one.

Face Masks

This is a great one so you can get some self-care while also bonding.

Painting

If you want to get crafty get some canvases and some paint and have a little painting session and play some music or watch TV in the background.

Coffee Dates

This is another simple one, go grab coffee together somewhere on campus and have a little coffee date. If you don’t drink coffee you could always go to another dining area on campus.

Go to the Gym

Going to the gym with your roommate is a great bonding experience. Not only do you gain a workout buddy, but you will also have someone to keep you accountable and someone to stay healthy with.

Anna Alvarez is an Undergrad at Montclair State University, majoring in Family and Human Sciences. She loves curling up with a good book, traveling to new places, and watching gilmore girls aspiring to be her own version of Lorelai Gilmore.