spain barcelona abroad street buildings europe cars landscape pretty city .pdf
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

Hidden Gems to Discover Around Europe in 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

2020, a new year, but also excitingly a new decade! Already two months in and folks worldwide are  beginning to plan their holidays for the year. While some of the hottest destinations include Amsterdam, Paris, and Dubrovnik, there are lesser known places that aren’t directly in the public eye which are beautiful and quaint. Ditch the loads of crowds and tourist traps because these hidden gems are perfect to truly enjoy your holiday with relaxation and local flare.

Giethoorn, The Netherlands

Giethoorn, a place not nearly as known as bustling Amsterdam, is a charming village with rivers everywhere. With the main mode of transportation being boats, Giethoorn is a great day trip from the fast-paced city life for a relaxing, unique experience. Just outside the city center and less than 2 hours away by car, this village is sure to take your breath away! Known as the Netherlands’ version of Venice, Giethoorn is picturesque with natural beauty. Trip Advisor’s “Viator” platform offers group tours for day-trips to Giethoorn!

Cobh, Ireland

Cobh is a unique coastal town in Ireland just outside of Cork. Famously known as the last port stop for the Titanic, it brings in travelers looking to visit this historic town and view artifacts remaining from the Titanic. Additionally, Cobh is home to their “Deck of Cards” architecture, where a number of colorful houses align downwards on a hill. This architecture brightens up the town with its vivid colors. Cobh is certainly a hidden gem waiting to be discovered, especially because it’s half an hour away from Cork which makes it a great day trip!

Ohrid, Macedonia

As “Game of Thrones” fans continue to venture out to Dubrovnik for a coastal holiday, many travelers don’t realize there are other countries in the Balkans with lovely seaside views. Ohrid, a coastal city in Macedonia is great for those looking to stray away from Dubrovnik’s crowds. Additionally, with the low-cost in everyday expenses (besides the flight), it’s an affordable city to visit where you can experience the local culture. Known for their monasteries, cobblestoned roads, and boat rides across Lake Ohrid, it’s the perfect city to visit if you’re looking to go to the Balkans on holiday all while avoiding loads of tourists. 

Annecy, France

Annecy, an Alpine town known as France’s version of Venice, is a colorful architectural place with a historic jade-hued river streaming along the city. Known for its gorgeous Old Town and vibrant crowd, it’s a city where travelers can relax and enjoy the view. Because Annecy borders Switzerland, it’s also a great stop-over city if you’re planning to cross the border from France enroute to Switzerland.

Cornwall, England

When you think of England, most people imagine cold hazy days with lots of rain. However, on England’s south-west side, there is the beautiful oceanside area known as Cornwall. This part of England is a lovely beach spot where some Brits tend to spend their holidays besides visiting Brighton. You’ll find clear blue water waiting to be swum in and lots of watersports and activities for a relaxing holiday.

Overall, I hope you were able to become more familiar with these hidden gems around Europe. While popular cities such as Paris, Amsterdam, and Dubrovnik are famous for many different reasons, I want to shed some light on these lesser-known areas of Europe that are just as beautiful. I hope I’ve inspired you to take a look at these destinations and possibly plan a trip to visit them in the future!

Sonia Anand

Montclair '21

Sonia Anand is a Senior at Montclair State University, studying Business Administration with a concentration in Management. Some of her passions include traveling the world, content creating, and luxury fashion. She is a dual national between the U.S. and UK and plans to hold an international career while experiencing living in different countries. With her extroverted and outgoing nature, she loves to take risks and push boundaries out of her comfort zone.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.