Celina Timmerman-Mom Jeans Hanging
Celina Timmerman-Mom Jeans Hanging
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
Style

HerCampus Montclair Takes Milan!: The Armani Showcase

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

“I decided to call it Silos because this building used to store food, which is, of course, essential for life. For me, just as much as food, clothes are also a part of life.” -Giorgio Armani 

Entering the year of 2020 it has only been blessings on blessings for me. My gpa increased tremendously, I’ve made self care my top priority, and I have the best opportunity of my life, by studying abroad in Milan, Italy. Within my travels, I came across yet another blessing. I had the chance to attend the Armani Showcase. Yes, the Giorgio Armani showcase, and I’m quite excited to share my experience with you collegiette! 

About 40 years ago Giorgio Armani created a fashion identity for men and women. Interpreting elusive shades, smooth fabrics and jackets. Armani is the owner of modern seduction. During my tour of Armani/Silos, I had the wonderful opportunity of viewing Giorgio Armani’s world which he says is “the dream of a measured, timeless aesthetic approach that has changed not only our way of dressing, but also our way of thinking.” I must agree, my mind and ideal of fashion has completely changed. From every stitch, to every fringe, to every print and pattern, I understood and have taken in his idea of this timeless moment we call fashion. 

Making our way to the zero level of the building we were not allowed to take any photos, but it was equipped with exquisite jewelry, and accessories. The clutches, handbags and shoes ranged from numerous velvets, colors and patterns. Following the same rule of no photos for the first level, it was also equipped with outlandish patterns, fine leathers and popping colors. But what really attracted me was the adrogynous fashion. “I find the adrogynous style full of mysterious, seductive fascination” Giorgio Armani had stated. Armani’s adrogynous collection was an example of just that, pure seduction for the female body. Although I couldn’t provide an actual photo of the collection, I was able to get my hands on a sketch provided by the Armani/Silos museum itself. With the resemblance of a tailored suit, Armani creates a more feminie look by dropping the neckline and giving this adrogynous style more sex appeal. Overtime Armani’s suits have evolved, yet still supplying his own original style. 

Moving to the next level, level two. This floor was coated with prints and patterns from all over the world, allowing you to indulge yourself within different cultures of fashion, and different cultures of prints. The title is called “Ethnicities” labeled as “the strong influence of a non-western culture.”(Armani/Silos). Incorporating Armani’s inspiration of places such as Africa, China, Japan, Polynesia and more, but also finishing his designs with his own touch. The Armani suit is an iconic style that will never grow old. This refreshing suit from his 1993-1994 winter/inverno collection is extraordinary when discussing beading. Upclose the entire suit was beaded from head to toe, every stitch close, with each bead intact neatly together. I believe that the light color choice as a solid background was a wise choice to make the somewhat floral pattern pop. This look would definitely place as my top #Florcore. 

Lighting is always important when you’re designing a garment. In my opinion, you can truly see a garment when the lighting is right, especially when using prints and patterns. Armani has established the capability to complement light with his garments. The way the light plays off of the two dresses gives off an elegant and fun/playful appeal. This was my final favorite on level two. Armani created a dress original in deciding to not copy just any traditional style. “Imagining and reinterpreting an “elsewhere,” capturing its purity, its capacity to move the soul,” this dress definitely moved my soul!

Now collegiate we can’t forget about the cinema! There has always been a huge connection between Armani and the stars, by stars I mean celebrities. Between cinemas/movie premiers, red carpet events and award ceremonies Armani has always been one with the stars. Introducing the final level, level three called “Stars.” Thinking of the Oscars, a memorable night for everyone including the designers, as you have well-known, top notch celebrities gracefully walk the red carpet in something you designed. The fans will either love it or hate it, but if your name is as big as Armani, anything you create is in the eye of the public. “I love cinema and have a privileged relationship with Hollywood” said Armani. This is all the way true from Beyonce, to Alicia Keys and even David Beckham. 

These four gowns were lined up and a part of Armani’s “Stars” collection. I feel a graceful walk down the red carpet suits each individual gown. I get a Dreamgirls and/or Supremes vibe from these gowns. The black and white provide a subtle and calm look for any woman and movie starlet embracing the world. Armani’s red carpet gowns can allow any celebrity to express their true feelings and emotions and by also giving the celebrities a prominence personality. Speaking on personality, who would Giorgio Armani be without adding his own personal flair to an actual garment? As I discuss my final piece of level three, I want to share with all of you a very sophisticated look. Although this may not be a red carpet look, it definitely gives off a fall 1960s movie starlet vibe. To create a garment with your very own self-portrait is extreme, and in my eyes, it’s a good kind of extreme. This pantsuit I believe is a velour fabric, sleeveless, complete with a  bell-bottomed pant and finishing the design with his very own self-portrait. This outfit is truly meant to be embraced, enhancing a starlet, disguising the body with an unfitted silhouette or H-line silhouette. I think the color choice (even though black is not a color) suits the outfit well in order to reveal the celebrities’ faces. 

All five of these styles were my top favorite. There are many more shows to come while being in Milan, the heart of fashion.

Tatiana Ricks

Montclair '21

My name is Tatiana Ricks I was born and raised in Philadelphia. I enjoy learning from others and researching the latest trends, I admire self-love, books, and healing myself spiritually.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.