Career

HCM Senior Editor: Bella Ingemi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Bella Ingemi

Year: Junior

Major: Communication and Media Arts 

Hometown: Swedesboro, NJ 

Bella has been an exemplary member of our chapter since she joined the writing team her Freshman year, so taking on the role of Senior Editor this year was a natural fit for a leader of her caliber. Prior to this, Bella served as our Entertainment and News Editor where she diligently met deadlines and worked alongside writers to help their articles achieve their full potential. Though Bella’s main responsibilities are focused on editorial content, she goes the extra mile to strategize the goals of our chapter alongside her fellow e-board members. As a Communication and Media Arts major, Bella brings a fresh perspective to the table that drives our writers to create compelling written content that is relevant in today’s media landscape. In addition to serving as a leader within Her Campus Montclair, Bella is also involved in Greek life at MSU. Bella recently earned the position of Recruitment Director in her sorority, Tri Sigma. When you get to know Bella, it is no surprise that she has succeeded in earning these positions. Her warm and kind personality coupled with her motivated work ethic set her apart as a driven girl boss who is destined to achieve success!

HCM: What drew you to Montclair State and how did you get involved in our Her Campus chapter?

BI: I was definitely drawn to Montclair State because of its location. I knew I wanted to go away for school and MSU is close enough for me to be able to make the two-hour drive home every once and a while, but still far enough for me to gain some much-needed independence. I also wanted to be close to a major city without attending a college in the city —I still wanted the campus setting. I found out about Her Campus through a friend and after attending my first meeting I immediately knew that this was something I wanted to be apart of! I loved the welcoming environment and being surrounded by like-minded, motivated women. 

HCM: What aspect of your major excites you most, and how have you been working toward achieving a career in this field?

BI: After entering college as an undeclared (and very scared) student, it’s crazy to be able to say now that I’ve found a major and career industry that I am so passionate and excited about. One of the things I love most about my major (Communications and Media Arts) is how broad it is. I’m learning so many different skills that I feel equipped for multiple different career paths that interest me. As a creative person with many interests, this is the perfect fit for me. Additionally, I feel like this is an industry that is fast-paced and constantly changing, which I love. 

HCM:  What’s something you wish you knew as a Freshman?

BI: If I could go back and tell my freshman self one piece of advice, it would be that you don’t have to have everything figured out right now. Especially being undeclared, it felt like everyone around me had their stuff figured out and I was behind. In reality, coming to college undeclared was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. It allowed to learn what I like, and just as important, what I don’t like. It allowed me to try new things and take on leadership roles that I didn’t even know existed. 

HCM: Where do you aspire to be after graduation?

BI: Although I don’t know exactly what my dream job looks like, I do know I want to be in the city—it’s always been a dream of mine. Whether it’s working in media or public relations, I love the fast-paced city environment and I definitely aspire to be there for a portion of my career.

HCM: What’s your favorite Her Campus memory, and how has being a member of our chapter been a rewarding experience for you?

BI: My favorite Her Campus memories have been being able to attend national events like Her Conference or College Fashion Week! I love connecting with people from other chapters and gaining more insight into the industry from women who started out just like us. 

HCM:  When you’re not busy being a #HerCampusCollegiette, how do you enjoy your time off? 

BI: Aside from Her Campus, I am really involved in my sorority, Tri Sigma. Right now I am finishing up as the Public Relations chair and getting ready to begin serving on Officer Board as Recruitment Director for 2020! When I do have free time, I am usually doing something creative like journaling or crafting, with Netflix on in the background, of course! This semester specifically has been jammed packed, which is great because I love keeping busy. But, it is always important to remember to make time to just relax! 

What distinguishes Bella as a leader is her willingness to go out of her way to help others. As both a member and Senior Editor, Bella has always made an effort to get to know everyone in our chapter and make people feel welcome at meetings and events. Her motivated work ethic and dedication to reaching the goals of our chapter are admirable qualities that are so valued by everyone in Her Campus Montclair. I’m so grateful that I’ve gotten to know Bella better this year and I can’t wait to see everything that she will accomplish! 

Christina Giordano is a Sophomore at Montclair State University, majoring in English and Communications. She is the Co-Events Director at Her Campus Montclair and has a passion for writing and media. She has an affinity for anything with glitter on it and thoroughly enjoys a good shopping trip.