HC Montclair’s Best Dressed at the 2015 Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

This past Sunday was Hollywood’s biggest night, the Oscars! While this ceremony celebrates and awards acting achievements from the past year, it is also one of the biggest events of the year for fashion. The Oscars are notorious for bringing classic Hollywood Glamour out of some of the best actors in the world (we’re still obsessing over Cate Blanchett’s 2011 lilac and canary yellow Givenchy number!) However, they are also notorious for some of the biggest faux pas in fashion history (this crown still belongs to you Bjork.) With all the anticipation and excitement over who your favorite stars are going to wear, it’s no surprise that an attendee’s choice of outfit is just as important to us as who goes home with the little golden man at the end of the night. We polled our HC Montclair team to see who they thought were the night’s best dressed and here are the final results! 

Red Hot Red Carpet / An Oscar staple, there were many shades of red on the carpet this past Oscar Sunday. From lace to beading to high slits, these ladies rocked red right! Behati Prinsloo in Armani Prive, Rosamund Pike in Givenchy and Dakota Johnson in Saint Laurent.

Visions in White / Another Oscar favorite is the long white dress. These masterfully crafted dresses were universally praised Sunday by our team and how could they not be! These ladies were white hot! Winner Julianne Moore in Chanel, Reese Witherspoon in Tom Ford and Luptia Nyong’o in Calvin Klein.

The Bold and the Beautiful / While many go for a simple approach for the Oscars, there are always the showstoppers that take bold risks that pay off! These ladies played up color, texture and design with winning results! Emma Stone in Ellie Saab Haute Couture, Chrissy Teigen in Zuhair Murad and Naomi Waats in Armani.

Blushing Beauties / Arguably the biggest color on the red carpet this year was blush. This flattering color was seen on many stars this Sunday but these ladies rocked it best! (By the way Zoe had twins like TWO months ago! I think we know who the real winner was that night!) Zoe Saldana in Atelier Versace, Jennifer Lopez in Ellie Saab, Kerry Washington in Miu Miu and Jennifer Aniston also in Atelier Versace.

Back In Black / Ah the classic black dress. For some, a black dress on the red carpet is timeless and beautiful while for others it can be dull and boring. However, these ladies made black a winning color with fun cutouts, masterful designs and sleek jackets! (Seriously though, Meryl could come in a black garbage bag and she’d still be best dressed #queen) Margo Robbie in Saint Laurent, Meryl Streep in Lavin and Sienna Miller in the late, great Oscar de la Renta.

Let’s Hear It For The Men / While Oscar night is known for it’s stunning dresses, it would be wrong on so many levels to neglect the men and the efforts they put in as well. While most go for a basic black tux, these men put on a spin on that tradition with fun colors and textures which only makes us love them more!  Winner Eddie Redmayne in Alexander McQueen, David Oyelowo in Dolce & Gabbana and Winner Common in Prada.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.