This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

In the time of the coronavirus, it definitely feels almost impossible to enjoy activities in a “normal” way. Do I lock myself inside and wait for this global crisis to be over? Staying safe does not have to mean that you can’t also have fun. Whether you choose to have a fun socially-distanced outing or stay cozy inside with a hot cup of apple cider, there’s something for everyone to get in the spirit of the season while still being safe!

Go Apple Picking

Many farms are still offering fall activities this year while abiding by the CDC guidelines. In my opinion, apple picking is one of the best ways to kick off the fall season. While maintaining a distance between others, you can gather the best apples in the orchard and bring them home to make your favorite seasonal dishes. Who doesn’t love a good apple pie?

Practice Your Baking Skills

Whether you are planning to create a dessert from the apples you’ve picked or just want to stay inside this year, you can’t go wrong with baking. I love looking on Pinterest for fall-themed desserts and trying to recreate them myself. Using ingredients that are linked to fall such as apple, pumpkin, and cinnamon get me excited for the season. There are so many cute ideas that make for a fun way to practice your skills in the kitchen while simultaneously giving you an excuse to eat more sweets!

Have a Wine Tasting

If you are of age, wine tasting is a fun way to get into the autumn spirit. Plenty of orchards offer a flight sampler, where you are able to taste-test each type of wine. It’s a great experience, especially for someone like me who isn’t exactly sure what I like. By wine tasting, I can learn which wines I like and don’t like without having to buy a glass of each type. If you are wary of going out during COVID, you can always have your own DIY wine tasting at home!

Take a Hike

The crisp fall air and cool weather is the perfect time to take a hike. It’s the ideal temperature to get active and enjoy the outdoors. Once the leaves change colors, I can’t wait to get out and see the foliage. Hiking to the top of a mountain will all be worth it when you get to see the beautiful view.

Have a Halloween Themed Movie Night

Who doesn’t love a movie night? To get in the spirit, put on some Disney Halloween movies or some horror films, and don’t forget the candy!

Carve Pumpkins

Nothing says fall like carving some pumpkins. Get creative by carving out different designs in each pumpkin. Don’t want to be bothered with the difficulty (and possible dangers) of carving? Paint them! Using pumpkins as decor is such a cute way to spice up your house and tailor it to the season. Plus, it’s a fun activity!

So whatever you choose to do this fall, make sure you do it in a fun and safe way!

Kelsey Gilroy is a senior at Montclair State University majoring in Communication Studies. She loves to travel and take pictures! In her free time, she likes to hang out with friends or online shop.
Lauren Clemente recent graduate from Montclair State University who studied Communication and Media Arts. She held the role of President and Co-Campus Correspondent, as well as Editor-in-Chief at Her Campus Montclair. She loves all things to do with content creation, fashion + beauty and traveling the world.