This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

If you’re like me and was oh so blessed with having both dry AND oily skin, then I have five holy grail primers for you! Below is a list of both high-end and drugstore products for you to try out for your next makeup shopping trip.

Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer ($54)

The Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer is an oil-free primer that gives you a natural finish with an airy, silky texture. It has SPF 15, minimizes pores, and is cruelty-free! When applied, it creates a smooth canvas for makeup application and conceals redness, wrinkles and fine lines. 

Smashbox The Original Photo Finish Smooth & Blur Oil-Free Primer ($37)

Smashbox’s Photo Finish Primer works wonders for oily combination skin! This oil-free primer will smooth out fine lines and wrinkles while locking in your makeup for a long-lasting wear. If you’re someone who is always in front of a camera, then this is the primer for you! On camera, your complexion will look even more flawless and pore-free. There’s a reason why “Photo Finish” is in the name. 

Milk Makeup Hydro Grip Primer ($16)

This award-winning gel primer is hydrating and makeup-gripping for long-lasting wear! It contains hemp-derived cannabis seed extract, blue agave, aloe water and hyaluronic acid to help smoothen skin texture while also keeping it calm and soothed. Plus, it will give you healthier-looking skin! It checks all the boxes.

Colourpop Pretty Fresh Hydrating Hyaluronic Acid Primer ($12)

This is a great product if your skin is on the drier end of the spectrum. Colourpop’s Pretty Fresh Primer is lightweight and refreshing on the skin. It contains coconut water and hyaluronic acid (duh) which creates a smooth base that will hydrate any dry areas you may have. It’s cruelty-free, vegan and smells amazing! This is my go-to every-day primer before makeup.

E.L.F. Cosmetics Mint Melt Cooling Face Primer  ($8)

This gel primer is one of E.L.F.’s more popular products from their newest Mint Melt Collection. It has a cooling sensation that hydrates and moisturizes the skin. It has a slightly tacky (not sticky) finish that helps grip makeup to keep it in place. The Mint Melt Cooling Face Primer has a unique green color and smells like vanilla mint- you’ll want to eat it! I find that this primer

Alexa Rae is a Jersey girl with a passion for fashion. She is a Montclair State University alumna with a BA degree in Fashion Studies and minor in Fashion Merchandising. Alexa was a writer for HCM for 4 years, having concentrated on fashion and lifestyle related articles. Her future career goal is to have her own successful fashion brand.
Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.