This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As the bright sun rays reflect off my curtain windows in the morning, and the blooming scent of spring travels through the air vents, toning my body for the summer lingers through my mind. The warm weather is my cue to log off of the only social media app I own, Instagram. Why might you ask? Well, there are two reasons. Scrolling through Instagram for workout inspiration isn’t always motivating. Instead, scrolling through celebrity and influencer accounts could make a recent workout feel wasted. It’s hard to commit to someone else’s lifestyle, especially since not everybody has the same routine or opportunities. Instagram is also consuming when the summer sun is reflecting off of your iPhone screen, enticing you to get up and go outside. As much as Instagram is addicting, I got the idea to log off for the summer and it’s changed my life for the better. Here’s how it went: PS. (I totally recommend it.)

Logging off:

The first summer I decided to log off, I was tempted to sign in a few hours later. It was like an instinct; my fingers didn’t know when to stop. In fact, I only planned on taking a few weeks off but it ended up being a healthy cleanse, and it only pushed me further away. I became less interested in posting photos, “stalking” celebrities, and logging on at all for that matter. We also have to remember that many celebrities dedicate most of their time to their appearance. For most of them, looking their best is in their job description. We can’t blame them for it either. But it’s easy to compare lifestyles and travel opportunities, especially in the summer when there’s more free time on our hands. Plus, most of what we see on Instagram is an illusion. There are so many filters and angles that alter the way we look. I like to call it the “dark side” of social media. So, I deleted the app and went swimming. When I got back, my phone was finally clean. No post notifications, no DMS, I asked all of my friends and family to text me if they needed anything, and it got easier from there. Then, I knew that adapting to a healthy change would be easy.

End of the Summer:

Instead of scrolling through Instagram, I found more time for myself. I became more involved in family activities, finding new hobbies, my workout routine no longer felt wasted and it just increased my self-confidence and overall happiness. Logging off has saved me more time to complete my own career and lifestyle goals, something that stays in the back of many young women’s minds when in college. Don’t get me wrong, social media isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it’s just easy access for users to compare themselves to each other. There’s a bright side to it too. When I logged on again, I found the bright side of it and never returned to the dark side again. Now, I only use it for work purposes and making connections since it’s a good platform to present your hard work. But again, logging off for the summer is still on my mind. Especially since our workload is less heavy in the summer so why not take advantage of that and log off? 

It’s important to just focus on the positive side of it, and a good place to start your cleanse is to log off for the entire summer. I totally recommend it, you’ll see that you won’t need it anymore. Go outside and enjoy the summer sun, go to the beach, hang out with friends, and live your best summer! Plus, you can always log on again whenever you’re ready. (Believe me, you most likely won’t). It’s time for me to enjoy my summer and for you to enjoy yours too!

Rosaria LoPresti

Montclair '21

Rosaria Lo Presti is a journalist with a strong passion for writing. She also enjoys reading, fashion, and traveling. During her free time, she loves to sing and play instruments or bake something delicious.
Bella is a Senior at Montclair State University studying Communications and Media Arts with a minor in Business. She is currently the Senior Editor as well as contributing writer for Her Campus Montclair and is very excited to take on the role of Vice President and Co-Editor in Chief for the spring '21 semester.