A Girl’s Guide to Shaving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

If there is one positive thing about the cold, dry winter months, then it is being able to put off shaving for a few days (or weeks!) and getting away with it. There are just three more weeks of winter left before spring officially begins! For some collegiettes, this means they will be dusting off their razor. Soon we will be ditching our puffer jackets and corduroys for cardigans and shorts. Before you dig out your favorite warm-weather outfit, make sure you treat your legs with some TLC. Avoid razor bumps by following the steps below to get the closest, smoothest shave this spring.

Step 1 – Prep the Skin

Jump into the shower or take a bath before you shave. Soaking your skin in warm water and steam softens the cuticles and opens your pores for a closer shave. Remembering to do this step allows for less resistance when a razor glides over your skin. Wait at least 5 minutes before you start the next steps to give your skin plenty of time to prep.

Step 2 – Bye Bye Dry Skin

Sloughing off dry, dead skin cells, especially after a long winter is essential for a close shave. Doing this step after you shave can lead to irritation; therefore, make sure you exfoliate prior to picking up the razor. Any exfoliator will do for this step, whether it is homemade or store bought. An inexpensive homemade version can be made by combining one part of oil (olive oil or coconut oil are personal favorites) to two parts of brown sugar.

Step 3 – Get the Right Tool

Choosing the right razor makes all the difference when achieving a smooth shave. Look for a razor that has three or more blades. If your skin is sensitive, then consider buying a razor that has a conditioning strip around the blades for extra moisture. It is important to pick something that is right for you. Some women prefer disposable razors, while others swear by men’s razors. Finding what works for you may take some trial and error, but it will be worth it in the end!

Step 4 – Lather Up

When it comes to choosing a shaving cream, go for whichever you prefer. Do not be afraid to try men’s shaving creams. They work just as well as the products that are targeted towards women, but often contain less fragrances and pretty packaging. Apply the shaving cream generously and you’re ready for step 5!

Tip: Opt for hair conditioner if you ever run out of your preferred shaving cream.

Step 5 – Remove, Rinse, Repeat

Begin to shave your legs against your natural hair growth with light pressure. Now, flip the razor and begin shaving in the opposite direction towards your ankles to ensure no stray hairs have been left behind. Remember to shave slowly and rinse your razor head after each stroke. Still seeing bumps and ingrown hair after shaving this way? Opt to only shave in the direction of your hair growth to avoid any nicks and irritation. Toss your blade or disposable razor when you begin to notice that it is dull. This typically occurs every 6 uses. 

Step 6 – Hello Soft Legs

Rinse any remaining shaving cream and pat your legs dry with a towel. Reach for your favorite body lotion next. Look for a body lotion that contains shea butter to quench dry skin. Nourishing freshly shaved skin is essential for smooth, touchable legs. For extra hydration, apply lotion to skin that is slightly damp. 

Photo Source: 1