sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Get Over Your Chris Brown and Wait For Your Drake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Rihanna and Drake. The couple, affectionately known as Aubrih, is undeniably one of Hollywood’s hottest couples. Rumors have followed these two for years and have persisted as of late as they have been seen together frequently over the past few weeks. At first, it was not clear whether the two were an actual couple or just really close friends. But after the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards, fans finally got an answer.

In case you happened to miss the VMA’s or just have not been following the news surrounding these two, Rihanna performed a medley of her hits throughout the night as she was the night’s’ recipient of the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award. Many wondered where in the world Drake could have been since this was obviously a very important night for Rihanna. The singer closed her epic night with a medley of her hits, “Stay,” “Diamonds” and “Love On The Brain.” As the crowd cheered on Rihanna, in walked Drake (looking oh so good) with Rihanna’s Vanguard Award in hand. He presented the award to Rih-Rih and during his speech, Drake confessed to everyone, “She’s someone I’ve been in love with since I was 22 years old,” and it looked as though he meant every single word.

After that night, it seemed evident to everyone that Rihanna has finally found the love she so rightfully deserves. Love hasn’t come easily for the singer in the past. Many of us remember her romance with singer Chris Brown and how badly that ended.

Many people have had to deal with their own Chris Brown – the person who tells you they love you, but ends up hurting you the most. At first, he treats you like you’re the center of his world and showers you with affection. Later down the line, you start to see his true persona shine through as he does everything in his power to bring you down just so he can feel superior. You start to lose sight of who you are until you finally come to the realization that you can’t be with that person any more. Unfortunately for the two singers, their relationship escalated to a level you hope no one ever sees as it ended with Rihanna covered in bruises and Chris facing charges.

Not all relationships last a lifetime and let’s be honest, most of the time they end with tears and broken hearts. But what they should never end with, nor consist of, is abuse. For many, love after volatile relationships is hard. That’s why we cheer on this relationship. It’s clear that it’s rooted in not only a lot of love and fun, but a lot of mutual respect for one another on multiple levels. This is what a true relationship looks like.

So don’t give up on love. Your “Drake” might be someone you brush aside or don’t even think about in a romantic way. You many find that somewhere down the line, you won’t be able to ignore their charm and sweet personality. Your Drake will treat you the way you deserve to be treated and your relationship will be the one you’ve wanted for longest time.

So get over your Chris Brown and “shine bright like a diamond” with your Drake!

Image Souce: 1 2 3

Hello everyone! My name is BreYana Williams and I currently attend Montclair State University pursuing a to receive a degree in fashion studies with a minor in journalism. I have always had a love for fashion and pop culture ever since I was little and being able to write for HerCampus is literally a dream come true. I have always had a knack for expressing myself through my clothes and writing down my feelings and now I am able to share my own personal input on fashion related topics. I am really excited to share myself with each one of you.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.