Get to Know: Victoria Testa!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Victoria Marie Testa

Age: 20

Major/Minor: English/ DD/DC P-12 Education / Minor in Journalism

Year: Junior

Hometown: Union, NJ

What attracted you to Montclair State?

The excellent Teacher Education program was what first attracted my attention, since I’ve always wanted to be a teacher. After touring a few other schools, I came to MSU’s campus and just loved the way it looked and felt. It felt like home – like I was meant to be here. MSU was my first choice and my dream school from that point on.

Why did you decide to become an English major? What is your favorite thing about the major?

I was always the best in my English/Language Arts classes growing up. I loved to read and write and unlike math and science, I actually cared about what we were studying in English. That, combined with my love of volunteering in schools, pointed me in the direction of Teaching English.

My favorite thing about my major is that it is always evolving. There are always new books being written, new studies coming out, and new connections being made. I just don’t think you could run out of things to learn!

Do you have a favorite class that you’ve taken so far?

I loved “Intro to Film” because it was new and interesting. I still think “oh that was a great long shot” when I watch movies! I’m much more in tune to what makes movies beautiful now. I also was fond of “The Pursuits of English,” but that might be because we studied Frankenstein, which I’ve always had a fondness for.

As for a non-major class, I took Social Dance and LOVED it. It took me way out of my comfort zone and introduced me into a new passion! I really recommend that class to everybody!

Being that you are going into education, what is something that you’ve learned over your time at Montclair that you want to incorporate into your future classroom?

I’ve learned that there is no such thing as being disabled. Rather, we are all just differently abled. My goal is that my classroom is a safe space for every student, regardless of ability level, gender, race etc. Inclusion in my #1 rule.

In what ways are you involved on campus? 

I belong to a few different Honor Societies here on campus and I love to find people who I think deserve to be in them and recruit them. I’ve also done some pretty extensive reporting here on campus since joining the journalism minor. Some of my stories have really forced me to be present and observe just how diverse and amazing our campus community is. I also volunteer frequently, on campus and off campus, bust mostly in schools or working with kids. 

What has been your favorite part about college so far?

I think my favorite part about being in college is the people. I’ve met some great friends and professors who I look up to and lean on for support. But for the most part everyone is nice and open to conversation. There is never a lack of interesting characters at MSU either!

Care for a little speed round?

Sure!

Favorite song(s)? “Burning Love” by Elvis Presley (lifelong favorite) “American Idiot” by Green Day (rediscovered favorite) “Country Girl” by Luke Bryan (this week’s favorite)

Words you live by? “Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten.” – Lilo and Stitch

Favorite movie(s)? The Godfather, Grease, Footloose, Rock of Ages

Favorite book(s)? Frankenstein, Winger by Andrew Smith and Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Favorite food(s)? Bread, Pasta, and carbs!

Favorite video game(s)? Just Dance & The Sims

Top three countries you would visit? Italy, Germany, China

Celebrity crush(es)? Johnny Depp & Ryan Gosling

Favorite season? Spring. The smell after rain, specifically.

Pet Peeve? When people ask for advice and then never consider it.

Fun Fact? I love cars! A 1957 Chevy Bell Air in Cherry Red is my favorite but I also work on my own car.

What motivates you?

The way I work is like this – when I want something, I work my ass off to get it.  Once I figure out what I want – I mean what I REALLY want – I make a plan and stick to it. I’m motivated by my own dreams just because I simply have to fulfill them.

You’re having a dinner party and can only have five people (dead or alive) come: who do you want there and why?

Elvis Presley because he represents so much to me. An era of time that I adore, the purity and wholeness of teenagers that I love, and music that is about breaking free, trying something new, but never forgetting where you came from.

My Godfather, who passed away in 2003. I just want to tell him about everything that has happened since he’s been gone.

My Oma (grandmother in German) because I feel like I have this special connection with her since she’s died and I would love to just see her one more time.

My brother, because even though he drives me absolutely nuts he is so entertaining that I love having him around.

Johnny Depp. Just so I can stare at him.

Do you have a dream career?

Teaching has really always been a dream career. It would be great if I could get a job in place that really needs me, where I feel appreciated and loved by my students.

What has been a highlight of your college career so far?

When I found out that I was accepted into the teaching program, it was really a magical moment. It felt like all the hard work I’d been putting in was finally paying off and my dreams were finally starting to come true.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Hopefully with a good job, living on my own and with a Dachshund because that is my dream dog and I am determined to have one before I get married! Haha!  

To wrap things up, what’s one piece of advice you have for our Montclair collegiette’s, especially our freshman starting college this year?

I think the biggest lesson you need to learn in college is that now is the time to be a little selfish and take care of yourself. Do what is best for your mind and body and make time to figure out what you need and what is best for you. And that goes for everything- health, social life, academics, and your future. Know what you want, go after it, and never apologize for doing something that keeps you happy. 

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.