Get to Know: Negin Sedaghat!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Negin Sedaghat

Age: 19

Major/Minor: Filmmaking

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Wayne, NJ

Favorite Quote: “To live would be an awfully big adventure.” –Peter Pan

HCM: What are you involved in on and off campus? 

NS: I’m in the Alliance of Women and Media club on campus and I am in charge of their Social Media accounts. I’m a Filmmaking major so I’ve been quite busy lately with shoots. The film shoots have been stressful but also a lot of fun because I get much closer to my fellow classmates and meet new people. My life off campus life has been pretty hectic this semester as well because I happened to land a great internship at Al Roker Entertainment. It has been a great learning experience and a great start to get involved off campus.

What is your favorite thing about Montclair State?

My favorite thing about Montclair State University is the people. My professors are wonderful and really know what they’re talking about. They have hands on experience in the field to really teach me what it is like. I also really like the friends I have made here. They are definitely people that will be in my life long after I graduate.

What are you currently excited about?

I’m currently excited about working on my film for the fall. I started pre-production and I’m working on the crew and getting crewmembers. I’m going to work really hard to make my film the best it can be so it’ll be something that I am proud to call my own. I can’t wait to blow everyone away with it.

What are you passionate about?

I’m passionate about filmmaking and being involved in as many shoots as possible.

What inspires you?

I get inspired by my upperclassmen friends that try for internships and never give up. The key to this industry really is to keep trying and not let any “no” tear you down. My friends have gotten many no’s in their lives but they are still doing very well now and are successful.

Why filmmaking?

I was constantly confused my junior and senior year of high school about what path I wanted to go down. I knew I wanted to do something in the media world because that is something that I’ve always been really interested in. Originally, I wanted to be a broadcast journalist because I enjoy writing and learning about new things. Broadcast journalism still allowed me to be involved with cameras and cool equipment. However, towards the end of my senior year I stumbled upon a few “films” I made in elementary school. Watching those again made me realize that I really want to go down a film path. I love watching a film and being inspired or taken away from my problems for a while and just relaxing and being entertained by a beautiful story! My dream is to be able to give other people that same feeling I get when I watch a film.

What is your ultimate life goal?

My ultimate life goal is to become a film producer. I like producing because it allows me to be involved in all stages of production and have a hand in everything.

Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.