Get to Know: Kraemer Clayton!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As students here at Montclair State, we spend a lot of our time powering through seemingly endless hours of classes and work. Sometimes it feels as if we’re drowning in assignments with an e-mail alert being our only hope for a break from our typical schedules. We’ve had the chance to scream the lyrics of a classic Gavin Degraw tune at the Homecoming concert and even hold onto adorable bunnies at the petting zoo. Soon enough, we’ll have the opportunity to dance the night away at Winter Ball and jam out at Spring Bash. While we all take our own time to prepare for the fun, do you ever wonder who’s behind the scenes bringing these programs to life for us?

Meet Kraemer Clayton. She’s a senior. She’s involved in a variety of organizations on campus along with being our Live Entertainment Chairperson for Student Life at Montclair (SLAM). She radiates positivity regardless of how crazy her schedule may be, she works her hardest to bring some smiles our way and she’s the perfect person for this week’s profile! 

HCM: What is your favorite thing about MSU?

KC: This is hard to pinpoint because I love Montclair in its entirety. However, my most favorite thing about MSU is the community, specifically the people. The people at MSU have made my experience the most incredible four years of my life.

HCM: What organizations are you a part of on campus?

KC: Throughout my experience at Montclair State I have been involved with the Alumni Relations Office as a Red Hawk Caller, Undergraduate Admissions as an Admissions Ambassador, Student Government Association as a legislator, Student Life At Montclair as a General Body member and Live Entertainment Chair and a member of the Red Hawk Pride Society.

HCM: What has been your biggest accomplishment so far?

KC: My biggest accomplishment, on paper, thus far as a student of Montclair is being the Live Entertainment Chair of SLAM and planning four large-scale entertainment events. However, as a human I would have to say my biggest accomplishment is the sense of independence and confidence I gained through my MSU undergraduate career.

HCM: Being as busy as you are, how do you balance your school life and personal life?

KC: Balancing my school and personal life is often a juggling act, on top of all of the extracurricular I do. Frankly, the people I work with are also my best friends so often my personal life becomes my work and extracurricular life. Essentially the time I am not in the classroom I am in my office getting work done or laughing with my team.

HCM: When you’re not at an event for an organization, how do you like to spend your free time?

KC: What is free time? Ha! Kidding! In my spare time I do love to read and paint. However, the school year does not ever really lend me the time to do either, so I often find myself spending quality time with great people outside of events and school work.

HCM: What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received?

KC: The best piece of advice I have received is to make the most of your undergraduate experience. There is so much offered right at your fingertips you just need to go out and get it, not to mention that you pay for it!

HCM: If you were to write a tweet (140 characters or less) describing your life as of this moment, what would it say?

KC: “Time flies when you’re having fun, don’t forget to stop and smell the flowers every once in awhile.”

Kraemer’s time here as a student at Montclair State University is nearly up, but the impact she has made on this school is one to last a lifetime. She sets an example for many students that your college life is what you make of it and getting involved is just one way to have fun while being able to make a difference. Kraemer’s post-graduation plans include attending graduate school to get her Masters degree in Higher Education with a concentration in Student Affairs. In five years, she’d like to see herself in a career that allows her to be working hands-on with student organizations on a college campus. Wherever her path may take her, I think we can all agree that Kraemer’s future will be as bright as the smiles she puts on the faces of everyone she comes across!

Allie Manalili is a freshman at Montclair State University. In the pursuit of spreading her love of all things art, Allie is majoring in Visual Arts with a concentration in School and Community settings. When she's not on campus, you can almost always find her arms full with a stack of books at the local bookstore, scouting out a new brunch place, or even adventuring to new heights on a hike. Along with being a Contributing Writer for Her Campus Montclair, she is also an Admissions Ambassador, and is excited to see where the next four years take her.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.