Get to Know: Katherine Sanchez!

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Katherine Sanchez

Age: 20

Major/Minor: Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies

Year: Junior 

Hometown: Jersey City/ Belleville, NJ

HCM: Why did you choose to attend Montclair State?

KS: I have always heard great things about the school, the students and the faculty. Also, the beautiful campus caught my attention and that sealed the deal for me.

HCM: Why did you decide to become a Gender, Sexuality and Women Studies major?

KS: I’ve always been extremely indecisive so I knew that I needed to major in something broad that can be applied to various jobs. Gender, Sexuality, and Women’s Studies and the issues I learn in these classes are so relevant and important that initially I just wanted to educate myself more but it blossomed into a love of feminism. 

HCM: What is your favorite thing about being a Gender, Sexuality and Women Studies major?

KS: The inclusiveness and the room for debate there are in these classes are my favorite things. You walk into class the first day not knowing anyone but leave with a new little family. Everyone is so open and welcoming and your opinions matter to everyone. 

HCM: Being that your major deals with very topical subjects, what is one thing you’ve learned from your major that you feel everyone should know/be aware of?

KS: There is so much I’ve learned from my major but one of the most important things I’ve learned about is that gender equality is something that we are still moving towards and have not achieved yet. I really want people to understand that anyone can be a feminist. Feminism is not about wanting women to be in charge or making men inferior; it’s about wanting everyone, no matter what/who they identify as, to have equal rights in every aspect of life.

HCM: Do you have a favorite class that you’ve taken?

KS: My favorite so far has been my “Intro to Women and Gender Studies” course. It really opened my eyes and got me to look at things in a whole new perspective. I feel as if I am more critical and aware of things happening around me now, and it’s thanks to that class.

HCM: What has been your favorite part about college so far?

KS: My favorite part about college has been meeting new people. I am a very social person and I love the fact that there are so many great people on this campus who I have the pleasure of calling my friends. Being able to meet people so easily and make connections will definitely be what I miss the most about college.

HCM: Care for a little speed round?

KS: Go for it!

SPEED ROUND

Favorite song(s)? The Book of Soul by Ab-Soul, American Wedding by Frank Ocean and Puppy Love by Brother Ali

Words you live by? “Treat others how you’d want to be treated.”

Favorite movie(s)? A Bronx Tale

Favorite book(s)? Misery by Stephen King

Favorite food(s)? Seafood is always #1

Top three countries you would visit? Spain, Italy and Greece

Celebrity crush(es)? J. Cole and Big Sean

Favorite season? Summer 

Pet Peeve? Traffic 

HCM: What motivates you?

KS: My family – making them proud is my main motivation.

HCM: What inspires you – personally and artistically?

KS: My close friends. They are some of the most talented and intelligent women I know and seeing them aspire to be great inspires me to do the same.

HCM: Do you have any role models?

KS: My mother and godmother are my role models. They are strong, independent and overcome adversity on a daily basis. I aspire to embody those same characteristics. 

HCM: What is one thing you wish people knew about you?

KS: I’m a lot friendlier than I may look, I promise! LOL

HCM: Okay, time for my favorite question – you’re having a dinner party and can only have five people come: who do you want there and why?

KS: Chrissie Tiegan, Jasmeet Singh, Victor Pope Jr., Aziz Ansari and Dave Chapelle – because that would be the funniest dinner ever. 

HCM: Where do you see yourself in five years?

KS: I have no idea where I’ll be in five years but I would like to be living on my own with a promising career. 

HCM: To wrap things up, what’s one piece of advice you have for our Montclair collegiette’s, especially our freshman starting college this year?

KS: College is all about time management. Making time for schoolwork and then friends is so important for a successful college career.   

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.