Get to Know: Bre’Yana Williams!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Bre’Yana Williams

Age: 20

Major: Communication and Media Arts Major

Year: Junior

Hometown: Sicklerville, New Jersey

Clubs/Activities: Besides Her Campus Montclair, I’m currently the secretary of the fashion club on campus!

HCM: Why did you decide to attend Montclair State?

BW: I decided to attend Montclair State mainly because of the location. For the longest time, I wanted to go to school in New York City, but all of the schools are extremely expensive. Montclair was not my first choice, but the minute I stepped onto campus I felt as though this was the place for me. It’s also close to NYC so that made me love Montclair even more! 

HCM: You’re a Communication and Media Arts major. What attracted you to the major?

BW: I think the idea of having a broader horizon attracted me to the major. I’ve always enjoyed writing and the media, so I figured having this major would help me in the long run.

HCM: What is your favorite thing about the major?

BW: My favorite thing about being a Communication and Media Arts major is that you have to express yourself in multiple ways. Whether it’s writing or filmmaking, this major gives you the opportunity to be yourself and and show people what you are capable of.

HCM: Do you have a favorite class that you’ve taken?

BW: I don’t have a favorite class yet, but I really enjoy my Public Relation Principles class.

HCM: What would you say your dream job would be?

BW: My dream job would be a fashion editor for a popular fashion magazine! Working for Seventeen Magazine or Teen Vogue would be an absolute dream.

HCM: What has been your favorite part about college so far?

BW: My favorite part about college has been making lifelong friendships.

HCM: What has been your proudest moment in college so far?

BW: My proudest moment in college so far has been joining Her Campus Montclair!

HCM: What’s your “go-to” spot on campus?

BW: My go-to spot on campus would have to be 2.Mato in the Student Center. You can never go wrong with their pasta and garlic knots!

Speed Round!

Favorite song? “Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen

Words you live by? “For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.” – Audrey Hepburn

Favorite movie(s)? “13 Going On 30,” “The Devil Wears Prada,” “Roman Holiday,” “Imitation of Life” and all of the “Harry Potter” movies.

Favorite TV show(s) to binge watch? “Teen Wolf” and “Orange Is the New Black”

Favorite book(s)? “The Secret Life of Bees” and “Nineteen Minutes”

Favorite food(s)? Macaroni & cheese and mashed potatoes

If you could visit three countries, which would they be? Europe, India, and Africa

Celebrity crush(es)? Zac Efron, Evan Peters, Dylan O’Brien, Justin Timberlake and Chris Evans

Favorite season? Fall

Pet Peeve? When people crack their knuckles!

Fun Fact? My initials are BMW! Ha!

HCM: What motivates you?

BW: The thought of making the people I care about proud.

HCM: What/Who inspires you – personally and/or artistically?

BW: This might sound cliché, but my mom inspires me every single day. She inspires me to be the best I can possibly be and without her, I probably wouldn’t be the person I am today.

HCM: Do you have any role models?

BW: Elaine Welteroth is a role model of mine because she began her career as an intern and is now the editor of Teen Vogue. She is someone I strive to be in the future.

HCM: What is one thing you wish people knew about you?

BW: I’m an open book; people pretty much know all there is to know about me.

HCM: You’re having a dinner party and can only have five people come: who do you want there and why?

BW: I would want Audrey Hepburn, Dorothy Dandridge, Michelle Obama, Beyoncé and Natalie Wood to be at my dinner party mainly because portray confidence and elegance. Many people look or have looked up to these amazing women and it would be an honor if I was able to sit down with all five of them.

HCM: To wrap things up, what’s one piece of advice you have for Montclair collegiette’s, especially our freshman starting college this year?

BW: Never stop believing in yourself. There will be times when people will try to step all over your dreams and make you feel inferior, but never let those people stop you from being the best you can be.

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.