Get to Know: Allie Vain!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Name: Allie Vain

Age: 19

Major/Minor: English minor Jewish American Studies 

Year: Sophomore 

Hometown: Northfield, NJ

HCM: Why did you decide to attend Montclair State?

AV: Montclair has one of the best teaching programs in the state, so it is great for me since I want to be a teacher.  

HCM: What inspired you to become an English/Teaching major? 

AV: My parents inspired me to become a teacher. After growing up and seeing how they can positively affect students’ lives, I knew that I wanted to be able to do the same. 

HCM: What is your favorite thing about the major?

AV: My favorite thing about the major is being able to read and be introduced to so many different books that I wouldn’t have known about otherwise.

HCM: What has been the most important thing you’ve learned so far that you already see yourself incorporating into your future classroom? 

AV: An important thing I’ve learned so far is that it is better to take the time necessary for a student to understand the material rather than them simply knowing it.  

HCM: Did you have a teacher growing up that really influenced you in your decision to become one as well? Or maybe a professor in college?  

AV: In high school, I had a wonderful English teacher who helped us as students be able to relate the texts to our own lives.  

HCM: Do you have a favorite college class that you’ve taken?

AV: One of my favorite classes so far is one I’m currently taking: Modern American Fiction!  

HCM: What has been your favorite part about college so far?

AV: My favorite part about college so far has been meeting amazing people and being able to take great classes taught by outstanding professors.  

HCM: Care for a little speed round?

AV: Sure!

Favorite song(s)? History Has Its Eyes On You- Hamilton 

Words/Quote you live by?  “Don’t forget to be awesome.” 

Favorite movie(s)? Deadpool

Favorite book(s)? Everyday by David Levithan

Favorite food(s)? Pasta, Chocolate, Coffee

Top three countries you would visit? England, Holland, and Scotland 

Celebrity crush(es)? Darren Criss, and Conrad Ricamora from How to Get Away with Murder  

Favorite season? Spring 

Pet Peeve? When people confuse your and you’re

Fun Fact? When I have free time, I write songs

Hobby? Playing Guitar 

HCM: What motivates you?

AV: My best friend Molly.

HCM: Who inspires you?

AV: My parents. 

HCM: Do you have any role models?

AV: John and Hank Green
.

HCM: What is one thing you wish people knew about you?

AV: Although I may not seem it, I am shy and an introvert so I tend to like to go out less.

HCM: You’re having a dinner party and can only have five people come: who do you want there and why?

AV: I would have my friends Molly, Leana, Marisa, Annie, and Jess. I would invite Molly because she’s my best friend and she would help to make the party fun. I would invite my friends Leana and Marisa because they are entertaining people with lots of great stories to tell to keep the conversation going.  Lastly, I would invite my friends, Annie and Jess, partly because they are both good cooks to help make the meal amazing, and partly because they are fun people that will help make the atmosphere fun and inviting.     

HCM: To wrap things up, what’s one piece of advice you have for our Montclair collegiette’s, especially our freshman starting college this year? 

AV: The advice I would give is to make the most of your time here. You can have fun and enjoy yourself but also get the most out of your education. 

Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.