This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

The holidays have traditionally been about bringing families and friends together and it’s usually a few days in a week that a lot of folks look forward to. But what will happen to the holiday spirit in this pandemic ridden world? From playing cards, online games, to even sending care packages to your friends and family, read on to see how you can connect more easily with your loved ones.

Online Games and Playing Cards

If you’re an only child or prefer to spend more time with your friends, online games are a great way to connect with friends. You can play a game via a phone call, FaceTime, or even Zoom and be able to have just as much fun by playing “Among Us”, “Drawize” for Pictionary, or even “Heads Up!” which has been a popular indoor game for a while. 

Playing cards are just as fun and this activity would work best with family members. Classics like “Uno” are great, and if you know how to play Poker, it can be pretty entertaining among the family! Some newer games like “Incohearent” and “What Do You Meme?” are perfect to play at home with your siblings and cousins which can make for great laughs and bonding time!

Spend Some Time Making a Care Package

Since this holiday season is unique, a lot of friends and family members will be missing your presence during this time of the year as they start to reminisce. With a present, putting together a care package during this time of the year can show just how important your relationship to them is. Along with a card, include a pack of hot cocoa, a new mug, a pair of fuzzy socks and even a new plush blanket! These are care package essentials and additional things to be added or replaced could be: their favorite holiday candies, a scented candle, or a new book.

Another form of a care package can also be baking treats with your friends and family via a video call. Anything from sugar cookies to making bread, doing it together can always make it more fun. Remember to share the instructions with one another, get all of the ingredients, and enjoy!

Virtual Gift Exchanges and Dinner

It might seem unconventional, but gift exchanges, for example on websites like elfster, are easy to set up and can include anything! Elfster is a useful site where you can link the gifts you would like for the holidays and even set a budget for the group. Once it’s time for the night of exchange, which can be done via a video call, drop the gifts at the receiver’s house, indicate who the gift is for, wait for the call and open your presents together!

Although potlucks can’t happen for a while, prepare a dish you’d like to bring to Christmas dinner and celebrate, eat, and talk together. This video call provides a great opportunity to connect with friends and family and try to keep holiday traditions alive during this unpredictable year.

Make Sure to Check-In!

Despite all of the holiday traditions, it’s important to check in with friends and family with the days leading up to the holiday you’re celebrating you’ll be virtually celebrating together. This year has been hard and unpredictable for a lot of us, but to ensure everyone’s happiness and health, it’s best to be safe and find unconventional ways to connect with another while doing the most traditional and conventional activities together. 

Have a great holiday with your loved ones!

Harmeen is a student at Montclair State University, New Jersey and is majoring in Business Administration with a Concentration in Marketing. Of course, besides being a Marketing student, she's interested in fashion and lifestyle, and motivated to write unique pieces for her interests.
Tara Byrne

Montclair '21

Tara is 22 years old and a senior at Montclair State majoring in fashion studies with a minor in business. She loves keeping up with pop culture and catching up on her Youtube subscriptions. Tara mostly writes fashion, beauty, and lifestyle pieces for Her Campus. She is the current President and Co-Editor in Chief of Her Campus Montclair. In addition, she is a Co-Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Montclair.