Four Reasons Why You Must See ‘A Star is Born’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

We never get sick of a classic love story with unmatched victory and brutal heartbreak, especially when it involves some of the greatest actors and singers history has ever seen.

2018’s “A Star is Born” has a lot to live up to—after all, Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper are not the first ones to bring this story to life. The first “A Star is Born” featured Janet Gaynor and Fredric March in 1937, followed by Judy Garland and James Mason in 1954, Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson in 1976, and now in 2018, Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper.

The plot revolves around a struggling artist (Gaga) who steps into the spotlight when she meets a seasoned musician (Cooper) who recognizes her talent. This musician becomes her mentor and significant other, and you are taken on the ride of their successes and love story throughout the film.  

Not sure if you’ll enjoy the movie? Don’t think it can live up to its reputation? Wondering why you should bother? I’m here to help. Without further ado, here is my honest opinion and four reasons why you absolutely must see Gaga and Cooper’s “A Star is Born.”

1. The unmatched performance of Lady Gaga

You may have seen her sporting a meat dress or showing up to the red carpet in an egg, but what you might not have known about Lady Gaga is her outstanding voice and acting skills. Yes, I know, she’s an international pop sensation with many hit songs, but I’m talking about her real, sultry, powerful voice. In “A Star is Born,” Gaga proves her gift and blows us all away with a voice many of us didn’t know she had, not to mention how incredible she is as an actress. Her often controversial outfits and songs do not even begin to compare to the performance she gave in this film, and because of that fact, I have gained such an appreciation for her as a person and an artist.

2. A new level of the talent from Bradley Cooper

Now, whoever you are or wherever you’re from, you’ve most likely heard the name “Bradley Cooper” somewhere in the realm of Hollywood and basically assumed he was some sort of important celebrity who’d been in a couple of good films and had been nominated for all different kinds of awards. And you’re right. However, “A Star is Born” goes far beyond that—Cooper represents the epitome of what it means to be a successful filmmaker, actor and celebrity all in one. He is such a presence, and channels that through his character Jackson Maine, who is a talented but angsty and somewhat worn-out musician. This role put Cooper in a different light for me, and I absolutely love it.

3. An absolutely breathtaking soundtrack

There are many films with extraordinary soundtracks to go along with them, but “A Star is Born” definitely has one for the books. Since the movie’s release, its soundtrack has earned its place at number one on the Billboard 200 chart. There’s such a variety of songs in it, from hardcore rock to sensitive, soft ballads. My personal favorites? “Shallow” and “I’ll Never Love Again”— that second one will have you in tears, I promise.     

4. A timeless story of love and heartbreak

This film had so many moments where my heart filled with joy, and then quickly fell into my feet. I could really feel the love that the two stars had for one another in the movie, as if I were in it myself. The story pulled me in and I was hooked the entire time. I don’t want to spoil too much, but it’s a plot that has and will stand the test of time.  

Though there are four of its kind, and remakes tend to not live up to the original, Gaga and Cooper’s “A Star is Born” really exhibited unmatched chemistry between characters, represented a beautiful and timeless love story, and left me shocked by the talent of its actors. You’d be totally missing out by not seeing it, so grab a friend, a box and tissues and watch as a star is born.

Ariel Rogg

Montclair '22

Ariel Rogg is a sophomore at Montclair State University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in International Studies. She enjoys traveling, movies, spending time with friends and family, singing to all genres of music, and meeting new people. Ariel hopes to pursue her dream of becoming a producer, newspaper writer, television reporter, or all of the above! She is excited for this school year and to write amazing content for HerCampus readers.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.