Forget the Turkey: Here’s How to Really Give Thanks This November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

The first day of November, after we’re only just recovering from Halloween, everyone usually packs up their spooky decorations and gears into Christmas mode. Walk into your average department store these days and you’ll see nothing but red and green in every direction. However, I’m all about Thanksgiving! It’s such a good time for amazing food, spending time with all your family and friends, and of course, giving thanks.

Now, I know that the first thing that pops into your head with the word “Thanksgiving” is turkey. I won’t lie, it’s pretty darn good. Be that as it may, there are so many more ways to really show how thankful you are and to make the best of the life you’re living. How? I’m gonna show ya.

Volunteer

Giving back to the community is such an easy and fun way to show gratitude. Do this by serving at local soup kitchens, picking up trash, donating old clothes to shelters, and researching things you can do to benefit your local charities. There is no good deed too big or small, so remember that every minute you give to community service is 100% worth it and appreciated.

Journaling

It sounds silly, but keeping a “thankfulness journal” is actually a really cool way to relax and reflect. Journaling lets you take some time for yourself and acknowledge all the things that add positivity to your life. Sure, turkey can be one of those things, but think beyond that and really invest in becoming more grateful for everything around you.

Trying Something New

Get out of your comfort zone and try something new! Eat different food, be more honest, try a different clothing style, reach out to people you haven’t spoken to in a while, and the list goes on and on. Thanksgiving is all about recognizing life’s gifts and putting yourself out there! Trying something different will give you the chance to explore everything life has to offer.

Keep Your Health in Check

You might wonder how maintaining good health will show your thanks, but it’s true. We often don’t take enough time to take care of ourselves, and Thanksgiving is a great time to start doing that. Schedule regular check-ups at the doctor, ask your doctor about any questions or concerns, and be sure to take appropriate medications. Being healthy will only make your holiday season more safe, fun, and enjoyable.

Spend Time with Family and Friends

Life is just too short to live with regrets, so we have to let everyone close to us know how much we appreciate their presence in our lives. Thanksgiving (and every other day really) is the best time to fix broken bonds, form new relationships, and strengthen old ones. There is no better way to give thanks than to do it with loved ones.

As you can probably tell, giving thanks is super easy! All it requires is a little inspiration and a little time. In the end, though, it will bring you the greatest satisfaction. Now, enjoy your turkey, but keep these ideas in mind while you do! Happy Thanksgiving!

Ariel Rogg

Montclair '22

Ariel Rogg is a sophomore at Montclair State University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in International Studies. She enjoys traveling, movies, spending time with friends and family, singing to all genres of music, and meeting new people. Ariel hopes to pursue her dream of becoming a producer, newspaper writer, television reporter, or all of the above! She is excited for this school year and to write amazing content for HerCampus readers.
Emma Flusk

Montclair '19

Emma Flusk is recent graduate from Montclair State University, where she majored in Television and Digital Media. She was the Editor-in-Chief and a Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She’s passionate about anything that has to do with lifestyle, beauty and wellness for women. She is a self-proclaimed craft queen, semi-pro binge-watcher and a lover of all dogs.