Title Image (self-created)
Title Image (self-created)
Original photo by Arieliz Ramos
Style > Fashion

Finding Your Fashion Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

We often find it hard to decide what our fashion style is. Many of us go through short periods of time where we stick to a particular style and then we realize it doesn’t define who we are. It’s easy for us to get wrapped up in the idea that maybe we shouldn’t be wearing this or that because of the fear of being judged by others, but that shouldn’t stop you from exploring your style options and what works best for you.

I remember vividly my freshman year of high school when I was given the opportunity to dress how I wanted after years of abiding by regulatory, bland uniforms. Up until this point I never really cared about what I was wearing. Going into high school with very limited clothing options was pretty intimidating to say the least. I was probably the least fashionable person there, and seeing how everyone else expressed themselves made me want to go out and change my entire wardrobe and how I viewed fashion.

I always found myself straying away from particular clothing because I had this idea that I couldn’t wear it because of my body type, and by doing that, it really limited my creative freedom in fashion. I eventually saw how limiting myself hurt me and lowered my self-esteem. Trying to figure out my own style didn’t happen overnight! It was a long process before I found myself through fashion.

Here are some tips I hope will help YOU find your own style:

1. DON’T LIMIT YOURSELF: It’s totally normal to be scared of the unknown, but that doesn’t mean it should stop you from trying on or getting something you really like. Unsure of a pattern or style? Just give it a shot, and see how you feel because you might end up loving it.
  2. PINTEREST TIME: Pinterest helped me A LOT with outfit inspo. Sometimes what you have is already what you need to begin creating your own style. We don’t realize how many items we have tucked away in our closet that can be a helpful asset to an outfit we didn’t originally think of.
  3. BASICS ARE YOUR BESTIES: All you really need are 2-3 basic pieces that can be mixed and matched with other things you have. They’re the best to have when you’re first trying to find your style because it allows you to experiment with some funky pieces later on. See them as your stepping stones to other eccentric clothing options later down the line as you begin to find yourself.
  4. JUST BE YOURSELF: Yes, as corny as that sounds… Being yourself is always the most important rule. Sure you can get outfit inspo from somewhere else, but at the end of the day you make it your own or change it up to fit you! Your personality and sense of style shine through your outfit and how you carry yourself. You should always feel confident and comfortable in whatever you decide to wear.

I hope that these tips were helpful to all of you as they were to me. Remember, it doesn’t happen overnight and after you’ve figured it all out, you’ll be rocking those fits!

Arieliz Ramos

Montclair '23

I'm Arieliz and I'm a student at Montclair State University. Fashion & Beauty enthusiast. Harry Styles lover. Coffee Addict.