This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

With fall in full swing and Black Friday arriving before we know it, fashion has been all the craze for the colder months. With this comes the debate of fast fashion vs. thrifting clothes. I sent out a form for MSU girls to fill out to hear their opinions of this never-ending controversy. Continue reading to hear what they have to say!

Rebekkah Dayon:

“Do you find yourself usually shopping through “fast fashion” or thrifting?”

Thrifting. 

“Where do you normally shop?”

Thrift stores and Target.

“Why do you think there is such controversy between the two kinds of shopping?”

Environmental issues, class discrimination, societal ego (goes into class discrimination).

“What do you think are the benefits to each kind of shopping?”

Thrifting- affordable, a lot of clothing options, great for the environment. Fast fashion- stay up with trends, quick, accessible. 

“What side do you stand on and why?”

Thrift- fast fashion is horrible for our environment. You can find a lot of good quality, nice clothes at a thrift store. You don’t need to spend money on clothes to fit in or to keep up with trends you should dress how you want to.

Meaghan Woods

Thrifting. 

“Where do you normally shop?”

Lots of thrift stores in Hawthorne, also Plato’s closet or other small consignment stores.

The large controversy definitely stems from fast fashion’s huge impact on climate change as well as its insanely unethical practices using child labor and low wages. There is also controversy over thrifting because some argue it takes away clothes from the less fortunate. However this is incredibly false since online clothing through fast fashion is sometimes cheaper than thrift store prices. Thrift stores also often have to throw away thousands of clothes that aren’t being purchased. 

Benefits of thrifting are that you can find unique, affordable, high quality items. It is also more sustainable for the environment. Fast fashion benefits are that you can find affordable (yet very low quality) clothing and accessories in a variety of styles and sizes. It is an easy online experience and it can be delivered to your door with the ability to return any ill fitting items. When thrifting you usually cannot return, you may not be able to find your size and there is a much more limited selection of items. 

“What side do you stand on and why?”

I am and will always be for thrifting. Aside from the environmental benefits, I believe that it benefits our own personal creativity and styles. Thrifting has made me more confident and changed the way that I view clothing. It’s also a fun, low cost activity to do with friends or alone. Fast fashion is convenient and honestly the cheapest clothing option out there which is why I understand its popularity and why people gravitate towards it. I always encourage those that can afford other options to choose those instead but I never shame others for their choices regarding fast fashion. It is so hard to know what is fast fashion and even harder to avoid it. 

Taylor Montalto

Fast fashion.

“Where do you normally shop?”

Sadly online but I’ve been going to more local boutiques in person to try and minimize my carbon footprint from gash fashion waste. 

Fast fashion is easy and cheap, and people don’t see the immediate effect that throwing away clothes into landfills does. Cotton does not disappear ever, it stays in tiny particles similar to plastic but it’s just as harmful to wildlife and our environment in general because of the fumes they release into the air. 

Thrifting helps give life to more gently used clothes and fast fashion allows people to dress nicer and trendy when they may not be able to afford the better quality and better form of shopping as well. 

“What side do you stand on and why?”

I know thrifting will always be better than fast fashion. Not only do companies that produce fast fashion hurt the earth, they are also unfair to their workers. Sadly there are not many benefits that come from fast fashion except you’re able to be trendy for an affordable cheap price and then those clothes are all that end up in thrift stores and second hand shops. 

Chenoah (Noaa) Sabo

Thrifting.

“Where do you normally shop?”

Goodwill, Depop, random small businesses.

Many people buying fast fashion do so to have cheap clothes they can wear once and not feel bad about tossing. Others buy stuff that has been tossed so that they can feel like they’re helping the environment. 

Fast fashion is good if you’re poor and will actually get multiple wears out of what you buy. Thrifting is great because you’re giving things destined for the landfill a second life. 

“What side do you stand on and why?”

No side. Just take care of what you have and make less waste no matter where you shop.

While we might know that thrifting is more economically friendly than fast fashion, everyone has their own opinions for a reason! Let us know your side of the fast fashion vs. thrifting debate on our Instagram!

I am a current MSU senior majoring in linguistics and minoring in Korean and Classics. My love for writing and reading has set me on a path to enter the publishing industry! When I'm not at school you can find my reading outside, working and visiting local towns.